Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just starting out  (Read 2804 times)

Rosadollymixture

• Joined Mar 2012
Just starting out
« on: April 19, 2012, 03:38:00 pm »
Hi,  just starting out in the smallholding world, well hobby farming really as we don't expect to make a living out of it just yet.  North East Scotland can provide its challenges, mainly weather conditions but regardless of the continuous rain and wind we've set ourselves up with a handfull of sheep, a few chickens and a couple of weaner pigs (all rarebreed).  We did have a hive of bees but the last snowfall finished them off, we've got plans to start again soon.  We are attempting to keep ourselves stocked with homegrown veg but again the weather is giving us a few headaches, even with a polytunnel. Any words of wisdom, or otherwise, from all you experienced smallholders would be very welcome. :wave:

Rosie posie

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Just starting out
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:54:11 pm »
Hi there from sunny, if a little windy, Mid-Wales :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:33:15 pm »
I am also in the North East of Scotland near Banff and growing any veg here can be a hit or a miss. We have had days in march where it was 20 degrees but also 10 in July or less. what does well one year may be a waste of time the next. Getting your pigs or lambs slaughter has become harder. This time we used Millers of Speyside which is a 2 hour drive and they did make a good job. I think with the way the weather is going all over the country smallholding will become even harder. Food for animals much more expensive . I love our place but we both work. I only a few hours a week but the day to day running of our place falls to me. OH does fencing and big jobs like that when he can fit them in. We could not make a living from  our land but what we do grow helps.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 05:27:33 pm »
Hi from the Isle of Mull  :wave:

Bangbang

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:21:55 pm »
Hi,  :wave:

Big welcome from sunny Aberdeenshire...the land that time and sun forgot !

We got sheep, goats and other things  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:33:57 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Hope to see you at the Scottish Smallholder and Grower Festival on 30th September at Forfar Market  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:59:12 pm »
Hello and welcome from Durham, currently experiencing a torrential downpour.
 :wave:

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:19:34 pm »
Hello from North Ayrshire..... :thumbsup:
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

Mel

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:57:55 pm »
Hi and welcome from Northants,we wish you well   :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:16:39 pm »
 :wave:  Hi and welcome from soggy Shropshire.  Sounds like a challenge but fun with it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS