Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat no more  (Read 6795 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Rat no more
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53:08 pm »
Well Happy Larry. I'm in the Burton area and I use Fenn 4's to great effect as well. Bury them on rat runs under 45degree ridge tiles. Got a big one this morning. That's three off the same run in two weeks! Only problem is 50% aren't clean kills and annoyingly my Crosman PCP is in for repair.

They tell me at Baileys there are a lot of rats about due to the mild Winter. So I bet there's more money in your job Larry than there is in Plumbing at the moment!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 10:31:37 pm »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
Coypu. A South American rodent. Common in Europe now. They have had them in East Anglia since pre-1980. My ex-brother-in-law went to survey the Sizewell area and was accompanied by a 'guide' armed to the teeth with autoshotgun and ammo. Apparently they used to take chunks out of the legs of walkers!! Every time there was a russle in the grass this guy let rip with the 12 bore.

Guess a Fenn4 or perhaps even Fenn6 won't work on those beasts. Will take some 6's to France anyway.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 02:55:37 pm »
Who needs terriers  ;D

Just found the rat ..... dead under the stock trailer. A victim of our little feline friend. Wondered why there were no new tunnels this morning. And she is such a sweet and gentle puss cat .... you wouldnt have thought she would tackle Mr Ratty. She did have to more or less fend for herself up here until we moved in and took her on. She must have learnt a thing or two.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 04:40:00 pm »
She deserves a fish supper for that one  :thumbsup:

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 10:19:27 pm »
Well Happy Larry. I'm in the Burton area and I use Fenn 4's to great effect as well. Bury them on rat runs under 45degree ridge tiles. Got a big one this morning. That's three off the same run in two weeks! Only problem is 50% aren't clean kills and annoyingly my Crosman PCP is in for repair.

They tell me at Baileys there are a lot of rats about due to the mild Winter. So I bet there's more money in your job Larry than there is in Plumbing at the moment!

chris,sounds like your doing a sterling job. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but try using 2 fenns under your ridge tile1 at each end,then using sticks pushed into the ground reduce the size of the ridge opening to 4",this will give cleaner kills.Another tip is to put a square sheet of toilet paper over the treadle plate then lightly cover with dry soil,this stops soil from geting under the trap.I live in horninglow and travel through most areas in Burton if you need any free help or advice.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 11:59:17 am »
here's another one in the news
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/giant-rat-caught-killed-grandad-174504562.html

I can do without those!!! :&>

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »
Shock.... horror. :o

Never a normal rat? !!!!!!!!

That could carry off the dog!

robert waddell

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 12:20:30 pm »
easier to skelp with a shovel though :D :farmer:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 12:29:00 pm »
These giant rats are terrifying. Are they a different type or just the usual common rat living off the fat of the land?

I wonder how old the giant on the news film was. a rat biologist or expert would have been useful there.
hate them !
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 12:46:33 pm »
Holy mother of pearl! That's some rat. I think it could probably take a child away  :o
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 06:52:59 pm »
Thanks Happy Larry. I was considering two Fenns alongside so when it gets snapped and struggles it sets the other off to kill it. I use black underfleece over the mechanism, cut to a rectangle, to just cover the plate and keep the dirt out. It is reuseable. I reduce the aperture of the tile with brick ends as we have loads here. Thanks for your offer. Will PM for advice if that's OK?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS