Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat no more  (Read 6794 times)

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
Rat no more
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:00:50 am »
Well last night my hubby decided to move the duck house to look underneath as there was another large burrow into the ducks night time enclosure, and there he was..... A huge rat! It was massive & not at all scared of my hubby, but hubby was brave and did the horrid task of dispatching it  :-\ not nice but necessary I'm afraid, bless him he was so upset at having to do it  :(

Good news tho we were back up to the usual 3 eggs this morning and back to the usual large size, it's been the odd one every few days for the last few weeks, the ducks are happier too, which is the main thing ;D

Blueeyes x

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Rat no more
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:27:47 am »
For a few days something had been tunnelling under our quail ark. Suspected a rat and spotted him a couple of days ago as we were doing an early hours lambing. Cant believe how quickly he could dig out a tunnel  :o

He is HUGE. Kept poultry for a long, long time and never had trouble with rats.Dont like to kill anything but he has got to go before he finds a weak spot somewhere in the pen. Put a humane trap out last night but only caught a teeny mouse. My father says rats are very clever and we wont catch him in our trap. Will have to think of another method.  ???

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:35:56 am »
We're the same, we never kill anything usually, all our animals have a life-long home here, but rats are so cunning, this one even climbed the enclosure walls and stared at my hubby eye to eye!

We've not even managed to catch a mouse in a trap  :(

It made us feel sick knowing we'd killed something but at least it was quick so it didn't suffer for long, look at me trying to justify it  :-\  saying that I'd hate or anything to happen to my ducks!

Good luck with yours!

Blueeyes x

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:35:23 pm »
Guess you will have to shoot it Blueyes. Decoy it to something and wait. A trap will have to be in place for weeks before an old rat will wander in -they don't like anything different in the environment and avoid it. They can smell 'new' as well so best leave anything outside for a while before you bait it. I waited a month to catch a huge rat in a rabbit trap baited with apples. The run was right in front of it and the rat passed by every night ignoring the bait, until finally he forgot it was new and went in.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »
We have less now we have a dog pooing everywhere (and a cat but she's a chub) - we do put out poison in boxes at the end of every month though.  Mint and cloves put vermin off areas, they can't stand the smell.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:27:06 pm »
Oh might have to give that a go planting the herbs, we had to shoot it but don't think my hubby could do it regularly as it was so upsetting  :(

Blueeyes x

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:42:39 pm »
Well done to your hubby blueyes,rat populations are always on the increase,as a paid rat catcher i get more calls from domestic premises than commercial.The best options are to trap using mark4 fenn traps placed in tunnels along walls,sheds,chicken runs etc. If any members near Burton on Trent need help or advice just ask.

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:56:23 pm »
Thank you happy lorry will get some of those traps in, don't envy you your job tho  :-\

Blueeyes x

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:36:47 pm »
What you want is some of these..... ;D

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:50:19 pm »
Hmmm might just try the traps  ;D we have a terrier but she was scared of it  ::)

Blueeyes x

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:04 am »
We have the same problem with our terrier, very much like your handsom lad on the bottom stevehants.
Unfortunately she just mothers every little thing she sees,  ::)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 09:05:07 am »
Mmmmm ..... white one looks a bit cuddly to me but yeah black one looks mean  ;D

Do they dig them out? Do they kill them quickly? Is it more humane than poison or traps?

Have a cat but think the rat I saw may eat HER.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 08:26:08 pm »
Give you a laugh - when I was a towny living in Edinburgh, we had to employ a rat catcher and he came with his terrier who looked about 100 years old and had lots of very squint teeth.  He would throw it down holes and shout RATS with a lot of rolling on the R and the wee thing would toddle around not doing much.  We eventually caught the rat in the rat trap he set, then, being a soppy towny, I felt sorry for it and started feeding it Mr Kiplings Manor House cake until the guy arrived the next day to take it away.  Still think rats are cute actually but don't have problem in getting rid of them now!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 09:06:29 pm »
 ;D

My niece keeps pet rats. They are kind of sweet and very intelligent.

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 09:17:35 pm »
Thank you happy lorry will get some of those traps in, don't envy you your job tho  :-\

Blueeyes x

I love the job blueeyes,i get the same feeling of job satisfaction as i did when i caught my 1st rat all those years ago.In most cases i catch rats on my 1st visit.Just a little incentive regarding using traps.They work 24/7in all weathers,you dont have to feed/ water them,etc etc

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS