Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose hatching out her eggs help  (Read 2545 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Goose hatching out her eggs help
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:48:40 pm »
Hi everyone  :wave:

Last year i bought some goslings that were for xmas but being a softy i only did 2 and kept the other 10,so now they are adults manged to sort them out so no fighting it was fine till the breeding began! in 1 place i have 2 ganders and 5 geese and the other 2 males and a female,i tried to get another female in with the 2 males but they just kept bulling her so had to take her out,also tried to take a male out but omg the noise still after 5 hours was unbearable until we put him back! so everything good now no fighting.
Out of the 5 geese i have 3 sitting on eggs,the first was due today and i knew something must be going on as this one goose has made her nest on my lawn outside my bedroom window when i woke up i looked out and the gander was standing by her,went and got some corn to feed her and he nearly had me foot! saw outside the nest an empty shell whoop,she came slightly off for me to see the eggs but i couldn't see the gosling but i could here it but my main worry is the weather,today was awful we are normally very lucky with the weather here but today and the rest of the week is for high winds and heavy rain.
Whilst trying to avoid the gander i have put 2 windshields around her i have left a gap so she can get out,i thought at least this way it might offer a little protection,but i'm really worried about the rain,will the goslings be ok,even though we fed her everyday in mouths reach of her nest she has lost alot of weight and she was sitting on 12 eggs,how long is it until the goslings are waterproof, i might be fussing but after shes sat there for 35 days i want to try to do everything i can to make sure shes losses none.

Karen

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Goose hatching out her eggs help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 06:21:33 am »
I think the windshields are a good plan. Has she got somewhere she can take them under cover. Can you make some sort of 'roof with sides' and take it over to her. Mind you, if she's sat for 5 weeks without shelter...... The thing now is to stop rats, foxes and crows getting the goslings. Sounds like the gander is working hard at that but easier for him if he doesn't have to defend four sides at one.

Goslings and ducklings get their waterproofing from their mother's feathers.

As for the goose, get some good waterfowl breeders pellets (chicken layers pellets while you find the other) and put some quite close to her, as well as a bucket of water. Then she can feed back up without having to take the goslings far for now.

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:03:29 am »
Hi - after keeping geese for a number of years we have never had any success in leaving the mother to look after them.  They seem incredible obtuse to the needs of their little ones, trailing them around in all winds and weathers and exposing them to the danger from the skies.  We now regularly take the young away as soon as we see them - sound mean but at least they survive under a heat lamp with food and water.  We have just found six goslings from a white goose who disappeared a while ago - thought she had been eaten by a fox - all healthy and warm now although it was pelting it down with rain when she took them for a walk!  Jan

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:02:08 am »
Make sure any chick crumbs you feed do not have anti cocciodstat additive in them. Safest way is to buy the organic version but you might need to order if your local place doesnt hold it in stock. The additive is poisonous to goslings.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:14:28 am »
On the other hand, my geese do a great job of raising their goslings.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS