Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dodgy Stuff in Magazines again.  (Read 11487 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Dodgy Stuff in Magazines again.
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:01:53 pm »
The wife bought a copy of Country Smallholding magazine at the weekend. It comes with a nice glossy poultry supplement. In the "Vet's Forum" on page 6 a reader has written in to ask about line breeding and in breeding. The answer explains a bit about this then goes on to describe "pedigree" poultry and advises potential buyers of stock to " check the pedigree".
So, has a pedigree system for poultry been introduced without anyone knowing? Or is yet another magazine article just plain wrong.
Trouble is now when you're selling some birds the buyer will want to see their pedigree, and when you tell them there isn't one they'll think you're ripping them off and will go off in search of another breeder who has the elusive "pedigree" chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dodgy Stuff in Magazines again.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:08 pm »
Here's a firm that sells software to do all the pedigrees for you  ;D ;D ;D

http://www.zooeasy.com/en/pedigree-software/breeding-poultry/breeders/features.html
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:17:48 pm »
neil watson  calling neil watson    your input is required ;) :farmer:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:18:21 pm »
Ooooops ..... no pedigrees for my poultry Im afraid.  ;D

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:32:16 pm »
I did the dogs ones on my own comp as the ones that doganjo made a while ago needed up dating and no good for what I wanted now anyway, thanks Anne  though  :wave:  It  took ages, I filled a page with 32 collums and forgot how many rows, then filled them in with some long and very strange names....people should keep them simple for people with poor eyesight and bad spelling, things like BOB the dog or Chick of the Hen, Bacon of Pig  ;)., I know that would soon be used up, so the long names, mind you I like our KC name of WEESHIRES!!! 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:23:43 pm »
You should have said, Sandy - I can access most breeds pedigrees through my contacts, and could easily have done them for you.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 03:25:09 pm »
THanks, I like to do things myself and actualy, once I got the light and my glasses on, I enjoyed sorting them out......interesting stuff though!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 03:28:56 pm »
THanks, I like to do things myself and actualy, once I got the light and my glasses on, I enjoyed sorting them out......interesting stuff though!!

I did my sheep ones on a spreadsheet before RFBS started doing them. I enjoyed it too and it gave me a better understanding of the flock names and stuff. Working in the light with specs on does help too  :thumbsup:

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:31:01 pm »
Bit like a game  :wave:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:27:16 am »
Of course, all of my poultry are pedigree ......you only need to look at them.  Er ....perhaps not,you  would see some of very mixed breeding, but pretty all the same!!   

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:24:46 pm »
All my birds have a 'pedigree' and if anyone wanted a paper copy I could oblige.

I can probably go back at least 6 generations on some of my pens and I can see by just looking at the bird what line of what breed it comes from. Most breeders of exhibition stock, including poultry should be able to tell you who or what is in the bloodline.

Any bird from an unrelated breeding group, even though they are of the same breed are in fact mongrels in that breed.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 12:41:40 pm »
Any bird from an unrelated breeding group, even though they are of the same breed are in fact mongrels in that breed.
Same with dogs.  If you line breed you know exactly what you are going to get.  If you just randomly choose a stud you don't have a clue.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 10:01:35 pm »
Of course, all of my poultry are pedigree ......you only need to look at them.  Er ....perhaps not,you  would see some of very mixed breeding, but pretty all the same!!

My 'Salmon Island Reds' are my best layers!!! And they look pretty funky too... I'm waiting for my' Black Salmon Rock; to come to POL to see if she's any good...

p.s. I'm trademarking them so no one go nicking my crazy crossbreeding ideas!!!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 08:59:23 am »
We have pure beed hens and some hybrids acquired somehow, along the way.

My daughter has just put some eggs under one of our boodies and was insistent on putting a real mixture rather than any pure breed eggs. She cant wait to see what an araucana cross pekin turns out like!!!!  ::)

Sandy

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:31:59 am »
I wonder how many pure bred people there are  ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS