Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing nursing ewe  (Read 4909 times)

Bullseye

• Joined Dec 2011
Shearing nursing ewe
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:10 pm »
I have a Ryeland ewe with 2 2 week old lambs at foot who is looking rather warm (and unkempt) and being new to keeping sheep wondered if it would be possible to have her sheared or would I need to wait until she wasn't nursing her lambs?  :sheep:

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: Shearing nursing ewe
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:13:40 pm »
we had all ours sheared on saturday, some had week old lambs at foot.better for the ewe to be comfortable i think, they are in at night bacause it still gets cold though.

Bullseye

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »
Thanks, ours are living out so should I wait until it gets a bit warmer or will she be ok?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:31:28 pm »
We usually do ours in May (well, have ours done, to be accurate). They're still nursing lambs. It's really funny because the lambs don't recognise their shorn mummys and there is mayhem until they sort themselves out  ;D

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:15:50 pm »
Bit early yet I would say, don't forget wool keeps them cool as well as warm.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:20:29 pm »
Having just come back in from yet another check, I would say no absolutely not :D :D
It's sodding freezing out there and what will you warm your hands in if you shear her fleece off? :D :D :D
I would wait till it warms up a tad ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:24:04 pm »
I would say dag her if she's mucky, do the 'wheel arch' bit so her lambs can get to the teats but otherwise leave her for 2 or 3 weeks more to let the lambs grow a bit more first.  Here in southern Scotland we do our earliest shearing in May, but that's the tups - ewes are done mostly in June .  Tatty doesn't matter, unless she is dirty and attracting flies.  Once she is shorn, if you can, pen her with her lambs for half an hour so they get to know her again and don't miss out on a feed.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:26:19 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 08:03:18 am »
Hi,

If she is panting then I would say shear her, sheep cope better with the cold than with the warm and you could do her with a cover comb which will leave a bit more covering of wool on.
If you do have her done and it turns cold then it would be a good idea to keep her in for a day or so just for her to get used to not having a full fleece.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:29 am »
It's going to be a frosty May so I would leave her. She'll find shade during the day and the nights are still very chilly.

Bullseye

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:14:25 am »
Thankyou for all your valuable information, saves £££ on books!
I think I'll give her a 'short back and sides' do as I'm paranoid about flystrike- being a veterinary nurse I've seen one too many rabbits savaged by maggots  :(
My lambs don't seem all that interested in weaner nuts however they have plenty of grass to keep them occupied, should I supplement them with anything else?

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 10:26:45 am »
Here in Dorset i'll be looking to get mine done the first week in may, with Greyface Dartmoors that includes the lambs. The skin thickens up after shearing, so they're tougher than you think but cold rain is worse than frost. I have to pen ours up for an hour or so after shearing as the ewes don't recognise their offspring and the lambs don't recognise their mums!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 10:44:16 am »
you could do her with a cover comb which will leave a bit more covering of wool on.

:sheep:

Does anyone know where we get a cover comb from to fit Heiniger clippers?
My suppliers just have the farmers set, fetches dags off and clips sheep, basic, very basic cut.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 10:55:00 am »
Hi Moleskins,

I get all my combs from http://www.hornershearing.com/index.html all combs will fit Heiniger motor in handpiece shears if that is what you have.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS