Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transporting pigs  (Read 18238 times)

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
Transporting pigs
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:11:35 pm »
I hope you chaps can offer some words of wisdom here but I have been looking into the transport issues around obtaining three weaners, transporting them (from Herefordshire probably) to our field (South Bucks) and later transporting them to the abattoir (about 30 miles away).
A livestock trailer seems the obvious choice but they are soooooo expensive - between £1,500 and £2,500. The secondhand ones are either so far flung they are unobtainable or too large. I have also looked into hiring one but other than horse boxes they don't seem to go in for livestock trailers.
I have a 4*4 to tow something (a chelsea tractor - sorry) but am struggling as to what is the best solution. Any ideas?
Thanks

Sal ???

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Transporting pigs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:17:52 am »
Only a suggestion,but cheap enough and easily modifiable (is that a word) would be a Sankey Trailer. They are ex-military,come in all shapes and sizes,can be knocked around,welded to,adapted (should have used that word before) and with the addition of some self tapping screws,a few bits of marine ply and a ramp,it should meet your needs.

Here's one I found earlier,quite close to you  http://www.paddockspares.com/scp/STOCK_CLEARANCE/Stock_Clearance.html
I'm not affiliated with Paddocks in anyway.
Or
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&fcl=4&dfsp=32&fnu=1&from=R10&satitle=sankey+trailers&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&floc=1&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=kt1+3hd&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32&fsoo=2

Failing that,there's always a large collapsible dog cge from Argos,just keep the windows down!!

Hope this helps or at least gives you an idea...... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:51:25 am »
Hi Sal
I have 4X4 as well but as long as it used for the right thing fine. Try to borrow a trailer or my friend's son went to a farm sale and got a little one for £8, it needed a bit of work but is very nice now. 

Rosey

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:06:44 am »
have used the 4x4 to transport three weaners before. used a dog cage as suggested, and it worked ok.
have also used a modified box trailer for two slightly larger pigs. but to transport them later when they are quite hefty i have to borrow a neighbours stock trailer.( requires a good scrub down before and after).
carl

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 02:35:33 pm »
just an idea,
Do you now anyone with a van ? (box van, minibus(no seats) etc) then build a strong ramp to go up to it.

linz

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 04:19:20 pm »
You dont need a ramp, just put strawbales in front of the back doors, put food on the straw bales, put more food small amounts at intervals inside the van working backwards towards the drivers seat, the pigs will go on to their front legs to reach the first food, climb onto the bales for the second lot, then into the van.  Warning, it can be very disconcerting driving long distances with a pig's head stuck between driver and passenger.  You may be ok with a quiet GOS however a voluble tamworth is a different proposition.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 05:11:32 pm »
had a look for cheap livestock trailers and diddnt come up with anything exciting sorry!

i found the following tho:

http://www.fieldfaretrailers.co.uk/trailers.asp?cat=Livestock_and_Agricultural_Trailers

the first smallest one dosent seem to be a bad price to me for a new one!  :)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 05:33:40 pm »
Warning, it can be very disconcerting driving long distances with a pig's head stuck between driver and passenger.  You may be ok with a quiet GOS however a voluble tamworth is a different proposition.

can't you uses a metal fencing behinds the front seats? or something similar which you find around the place?
just an idea personally i have never done it myself so i could be totally wrong.
Linz

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 06:13:01 pm »
Litz you certainly can.  We used a bale of straw on our first go.  The pig a particulary whiffy boar who knew he was going out to cover a sow, (no smell like it anywhere) spent the whole 40 minutes journey (longest of my life) balanced on his elbows on the straw bale, his head between me and the driver and he talked, very loudly, the whole way.

I spent the whole journey praying we would not be stopped try explaining the pig in the middle to a gendarme.  Metal or wooden barrier much better idea.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 12:00:09 pm »
Has anyone any information about the new livestock transporting rules?

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 12:06:05 pm »
there is something about to come in which means that you have to pass a certificate to transport pigs( and maybe other livestock) over 65km. i think it is a welfare related multiple choice paper? but i cannot remember where i left the info.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 12:11:57 pm »
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/farmed/transport/pdf/vehicle_spec_livestock.pdf

Here is one link - go on the DEPRA site for more info.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 05:46:39 pm »
Will this apply to France and how strong are they likely to be in enforcing the rules.  (I am asking for a friend we dont transport our animals very far)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 06:00:07 pm »
My French isn't great,but have been,and will continue,to look through the MSA website to see if there's anything on there. All I know for definate is,that if the maximum all up weight of the trailer is below 500 kg you do not need to have the trailer registered with its own registration number. The maximum weight is evidenced by a plate on the trailer. Above 750 kgs you need brakes. try here http://www.code-route.com/remorque.htm
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 09:22:25 pm »
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your advice. Makes me feel anything is dooable. On the transport laws I gather the rules will require a certificate where you are conveying livestock in excess of 40 miles and I guess they can regulate this from the movement licences. I suspect most folk will have to obtain the consent simply because the abattoirs seem to be few and far between. Anyway, as I say thank you so much. Sal ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS