Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from EastAyrshire  (Read 5512 times)

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
Hi from EastAyrshire
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:36:46 pm »
What a great website. we're new to being smallholders- have 7 acres of land on a hill-very windy!! and have been researching what we're going to do for 2 years and are finally ready to take the plunge.-well dip our toes in at least!
we have a few chickens- one broody so fingers crossed for chicks in 2 weeks.....
we're looking for pigs next and I would like to erect a polytunnel (providing it doesn't blowaway).
I read on the marketplace that there was some advice on how to build your own somewhere on this site but can't find it. anyone know where i should look?

Lynne

nikki

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: Hi from EastAyrshire
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 06:41:38 pm »
Hi to you I'm from Cheshire, I have a small holding and a B&B. We inherited some ducks as well and I found this web site thank goodness as I've so many questions to ask about the ducks, as they have laid eggs and I'm not sure what to do! So its great to have this forum so we can all ask questions and get some feedback etc. Nikki (new user )

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 06:51:19 pm »
they have laid eggs and I'm not sure what to do

You COULD eat them ;)

Seriously, welcome to both of you. 

Did you mean as regards hatching them?  That will depend on whether you want to do it a lot in which case you will want an incubator, or a little in which case you find someone with an incubator unless you have a broody hen or duck around.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

nikki

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:56:31 pm »
Unfortunately I cant eat them I'm allergic to eggs!!!  My husband would eat them all if I let him, so he's banned from the duck house for now until I get some ducklings , them he can have as many as he likes!!   Yes I would like to hatch them, I was leaving the ducks to it, and so far 3 weeks in they have been sitting on them quite a lot, but over the last 2 days they have both been out in the pond everytime I go out to check on them? So I felt a couple of the eggs, they were covered up with straw, they felt cold, is that normal? they are due sat/sun I think, so didn't know wether to leave them alone or bring them in? and if I remove them after the weekend, will they lay again? We have a drake as well.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:57:56 pm »
hiya from meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
am in central scotland.
I have no live stock unless you call a husband and step son livestock,Would love some chickens but have to wait until i am alowed them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:00:55 pm »
They might not have been fertile - have you seen your drake working?  I suspect they are dead if they are cold but just leave them meantime - I assume Sat/Sun is the end of the 28 days?  You could leave them a few days longer - can't hurt if they are dead anyway.  If still no signs of life just bin them unless you aren't squeamish in which case you could open them to see what stage they were at.  But if you are going to do that make sure they are at least 31 days from setting.  It isn't a pleasant sight though so be really sure if you do.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:14:18 pm »
Hi Nikki
our eggs are being mollicoddled by a broody hen at the moment- we are 8 days in and counting! she only leaves them for 1/2 hr a day if that and soon sees anyone off who dares approach to have a peek!
whether they are fertilised- we'll have to wait and see although the cockerel is certainly frisky enough!

Never thought about ducks- we don't have a pond though- but the water table isn't that far below the ground in the field that it shouldn't be that difficult to dig one!

small steps I guess!
thanks for making me feel welcome chaps and good luck with the eggs Nikki!

Lynne

nikki

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 07:20:05 pm »
yeah, I think I will leave them alone and see what happens, don't know about opening them up though...ugh..but at least I'd know if they were fertile etc. Do they lay again then ducks if I remove the eggs?  I haven't seen any 'activity' between drake & hen but he has been following them around all the time and bobbing his head up & down, which I read was a sign of mating! so I'll have to wait & see.  Get digging that pond Lynn...they are sooooo funny to watch- the ducks that is!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 07:28:25 pm »
My ducks lay every day (Khaki Campbells), but then I take the eggs away every day.  they have always laid before I go in at 9.30 am - they let them selves out of the shed into their run, so i go over then to feed them. I must admit the only time I see Jack on the girls backs is in the water.  Just as well the stream isn't deep just now else they'd drown.  Have heard of that happening in the wild.

sandy

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 10:29:09 pm »
Hello!! Looking forward to getting Ducks to go with my Chickens, we used to say in South Lanarkshire and were we lived the wind could hold you up, it was set high next to a fir plantation (not fur) and when we were in bed the wind made noises like flute sounds in the trees, very nice and spooky...welcome.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 07:36:00 pm »
Hi and welcome.

You could candle the eggs instead of opening them up. Just shine a torch through from bottom to top - you wil be able to see if anything is developed although not in as much detail as opening them up.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 09:41:24 pm »
I think I'd do it your way Rosemary - don't really want that much detail at that stage do you?  I've done it and wished I hadn't the second I opened the egg.  It can be heart rending if well developed.

Frugaldom

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Southwest Scotland
  • Why are chicks so cute?
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:35 am »
Hi Spitfire, I'm not that far from you, in Dumfries & Galloway region  :)

Was just popping in to say hello and welcome and eagerly awaiting news of any potential hatching going on, as I see it should be happening about now. GOOD LUCK!  :hshoe:  :chook: Please take some photos if you get any chicks, I love seeing them and am sure everyone else does, too.
Trying to control my chicken habit after falling off the wagon.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:24:20 am »
Hi from Brittany.  We too keep ducks rather stupidly we have let them onto our pond, which is where they stay tauntingly near to the edge at night, just too far to allow us to encourage them in.  The eggs are superb for cake making.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 03:22:14 pm »
the polytunnel links are on this thread Spitfire

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php/topic,2228.0.html

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS