Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New from Cheshire- info on ducks with eggs-not sitting  (Read 4844 times)

nikki

• Joined Apr 2009
New from Cheshire- info on ducks with eggs-not sitting
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:48:13 pm »
I want to introduce myself I'm Nikki from Rixton in Cheshire. I have a B&B and a small holding, which also came with 3 ducks- 2 hens & a drake! Hence joining this site as I haven't had ducks before. I have posted one question on about the eggs that have been laid, as the duck has been sitting on the eggs for 3 weeks now she seems to be off them every time I go to the pond. I wondered if this is normal? I felt one or two of her eggs and it felt cold to me? again is this normal? They are due to hatch around Sat or Sunday, so I didn't know wether to leave them this time and see if she will lay again if they don't hatch and I take them away?  Any ideas suggestions or tips would be gratefully accepted!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: New from Cheshire- info on ducks with eggs-not sitting
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 06:56:55 pm »
As I said on the other thread it sounds to me like they have died but leave them until after the 28 days just in case.  Don't keep going to look at them either as that may have put the ducks off sitting.  I think ducks usually like to go and sit on their eggs away in a very private area and then just appear with the little yellow fluffies  following behind.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:17:29 pm »
fingers crossed!

maybe you should try and incubator if you really want chicks although we're having that debate at the moment-
natural v's assisted- if we do get chicks- do we leave them with the hen or remove them to an in door heated area to bring on- there is always the cat to consider as well.....

take care
Lynne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:23:59 pm »
As a matter of interest - what will/would you do with the additions to the group if you did hatch them out.   I've often thought about getting an incubator but with my dogs I always look for new owners before I do a mating so would probably feel the same about the dooks and chooks.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

nikki

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 07:29:10 pm »
it depends on how many, I think I would like to keep at least 4 and sell the rest? If I end up with a few say 4-8 I may keep them all and just keep the eggs for eating in future, as the pond area is quite big, although I would like some chickens as well so - good point I will have to have a serious think about it, thanks Annie

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:07 pm »
James hatches for other people but I'm not sure there'd be a huge market and I can see me being over-run in a short space of time ;)
:&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:35:41 pm »
Annie you would be surprised. Apparantly an ad in a local paper and ducks are snapped up - or so I am told by many people. I have an ad in this weekends paper re the Kakhi Campbell boys so fingers crossed I have been told the truth!!!! :&> :&> :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:51:26 pm »
Do you have extras just now then?  or are you just trying it out to see if it's true?

sandy

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 10:24:42 pm »
Seems the B&B world is also giving the smallholding stuff a go!!! I too have a B&B and only have 3 chickens at the moment, I want a few fancy ones and I  hope to be getting 2 ducks, the are being incubated as we speak, I am very excited. I also think as we work from home, it is easier to look after things, in my previous life I had little time for anything other than cleaning and shopping....now, I can give bit's of leftovers, potter in the garden and enjoylife a bit more, it's great meeting people!!!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:57:27 am »
Hi Nikki and welcome! I think there's nothing lost by leaving them for another week. Can you hear anything? I was surprised how long the mother spent time away, but honestly, if the eggs always feel cold at this stage it is likely that she's given up and that they have died.
James, I couldn't find a home for any of our boys last year, people just wanted them for the pot! They spent some happy weeks on a farm nearby  with a pond but all disappeared over the weeks, I don't really want to know.... I wish you luck! :&>

nikki

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 05:20:45 pm »
Well all the eggs were just eggs so I have had thrown them away, gutted. But they are laying again, Pats had some for breakfasts and I'm having 4 in the airing cupboard to see what happens, as I haven't seen any action going on with the drake I want to see if anything develops etc. I'll keep you all posted ...Nikki from Cheshire.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 06:16:06 pm »
What a shame, Nikki! There's plenty of time if you want to do it Nature's way. If you are keen on ducklings, an incubator is more reliable - and you need to be prepared for taking over the mothering anyway! Keep us posted...:&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS