Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: best way to mature cheese  (Read 3154 times)

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
best way to mature cheese
« on: April 14, 2012, 03:08:58 pm »
Hi all,

just wondering how ye all mature your semi hard cheese, I usually put mine in the bottom of the fridge but I know this dries it out too quick, I have no cellar/dark cool area.

I do have a small spare under the counter fridge and Im wondering if it could be converted in any way to mature the cheese?  Or if anybody has any ideas/words of wisdom Im all ears

Thanks

Brid :thumbsup:

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: best way to mature cheese
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:12:11 pm »
I've tried various places to mature cheeses and I think the best is my larder which has a concrete slab for a shelf and is pretty chilly.

I put a wooden (shoe) rack in there and balanced my cheeses on that, whether bandaged or waxed.  It seems to work OK but it's not ideal as I'm in and out of there all the time.

However, I don't put the brie types in there as I think I read somewhere that they need to be stored separately because of the mold.

I have thought about a cool box but not investigated that any further.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:34:53 pm »
Smithy your cheeses look very professional.  What type of milk do you use?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 05:55:19 pm »
Thank you.

I use goat's milk from my own goats and I've tried quite a few different cheeses, some turn out better than others

I must admit I prefer making soft cheese as there's far less to go wrong.

Sharon

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:49:02 pm »
Cupboard in the garage?

Not a problem here, everywhere bar the kitchen where the Aga is, is larder temperature  ::)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:43:12 am »
Not a problem here, everywhere bar the kitchen where the Aga is, is larder temperature  ::)
It is frequently warmer in my fridge than in the larder it stands in  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS