Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: somewhere to keep chickens  (Read 15155 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: somewhere to keep chickens
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 03:08:56 pm »
I always get my WOOfs wrong - WWOOF as you say Suzie.

I just think it a great idea - my daughter graduates in July and I have booked her in for some work with me and house sitting whilst we go to the UK for  wedding, She will be looking for WWOOF after leaving us. That said I may book her in for some apple picking on the large orchards then get her to stick around to harvest all the walnuts and chestnuts - I'm sure there is a few quid we can make on the nuts or just feed them to the pigs again.
There is an idea- mail order walnuts for takers on the TAS  ;D
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 03:23:37 pm »
yes mak, i could be very interested in taking you up on that offer, im a qualified and time served chippy. pm me some more details of what you want doing and we'll sort something out. i could bring back some walnuts for tasers!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 03:37:35 pm »
Will do when the light fades - back to plasterboarding a ceiling ( by myself !! :o)
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

deepinthewoods

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 03:39:20 pm »
make a  couple of props!!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 04:00:52 pm »
.........could do with you living nearby when we move to France!

When and which part are you moving to?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 08:32:09 pm »
We're going for September, inbetween the Olympics. Renting in Soth Dordogne near Sarlat OhLaLa and taking our chickens with us. Being planned with military precision.

MAK and Mistryer must be near neighbours. Both near Limoge.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 08:53:36 pm »
Sarlat is about 240 Km from us ( 2.5 hours) so not far by French distances.
Hope you like eating duck Chris as nearly every menu has it there. Great place on summer nights with all the street theatre.
not long now for you - good luck with moving the chickens.
Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 09:21:51 pm »
Thanks Martin, but I don't think we will be eating out as our budget is tight until we draw the UK state pensions in 10 years time! Complex chicken move, but I won't bore you with the details.

So we'll have 10 years to buy a small place and rebuild it before we retire properly. I'd be quite happy just building chicken coops and filling them.

wales01man

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 12:07:06 am »
Oh how i wish i could up sticks to france or somewhere so i can keep chickens but we are resigned to stay here will leave only in a box when time comes had the dream went to wales it all went tits up so back in england older poorer no wiser and less healthy good luck to all of you living the life you want ive tried and failed

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 08:40:41 am »
Dave, bring me back some walnuts please :) :)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 12:16:59 pm »
Walnuts - funny you should say that as I was thinking of investigating postal costs and offering a mail order service to the UK. I have  few months to cost postage but last year we just fed the walnuts to the pigs ( horrible noise when they eat them).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

deepinthewoods

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 12:41:06 pm »
i found it nigh on impossible to buy english walnuts last christmas, im sure there would be a market for them, even if they are french!!!

mistryer

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Dordogne, France
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 12:27:41 pm »
Oh how i wish i could up sticks to france or somewhere so i can keep chickens but we are resigned to stay here will leave only in a box when time comes had the dream went to wales it all went tits up so back in england older poorer no wiser and less healthy good luck to all of you living the life you want ive tried and failed

How very sad....what went wrong in Wales? Don't give up - perhaps there are other ways of doing what you want to do.
chismahon - Sarlat is about an hour from us, so that would make us neighbours, in French distance! If you enjoy making chicken coops, I'm sure you'd have a market for them round here.  Lots of people keeping poultry and always on lookout for well made, reasonably priced housing. Glad you are able to make the move - really glad we did.
a smile a day, keeps the doldrums at bay :-)x

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 07:05:51 pm »
Hi Mistryer. Everyone wants well made reasonably priced coops. Most people buy cheap and regret it 12 months later. But reasonably priced usually means too cheap for me as a well made coop with hand driven nails, pilot drilled screwed assembly, timber treated and carefully selected during assembly (no big knots or warped sections) and finished internally and externally to quality colours is too expensive for most. Perhaps I could do a self-paint budget range though ?

Perhaps we'll meet up when we get over there?

Wales01man, chin up and keep trying. These are changing and soon to be challenging times for all and tradesman skills will always survive. Tried horsey people? Loads of land hardly used and fences and sheds always needing fixing. Adverts in local feed suppliers or agri-merchants?

wales01man

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 10:00:16 pm »
thanks again to you all i will try ads in feed and agricultral places round here just need to draft an ad that says it all in a few sentences as for wales we went in 2000 started to set up poultry enterprise then foot and mouth came stopped all progress could not buy or sell very easy  gave up and started a business online did well for 4 years sales rising until our suppliesr put prices to us up and sold themselfs online carried on hoping then borrowed to get a retail business growing well the recession came sales dropped by nearley 50% walked away from both with massive debts and got lovely smallholding repossed  to top it all wife crippled in car accident both our healths tha=en failed managed to get social housing and eventually came back here with exchange getting life back now retired and wife on disability not much money but enough happy and with time on our hands and an ambition to raise chickens

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS