Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 8 goats looking for a loving new home - Fife.  (Read 6971 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
8 goats looking for a loving new home - Fife.
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:05:39 am »
It is with a very heavy heart that I have decided to try and find a new home for my 8 goats. These goats have been a huge part of my family  for several years and as I only ever wanted the very best for them I realise now that I can't give that to them. I want them to go to a home where they will live out the rest of their time together and will enjoy the very best that life can offer them.

I have a BT male aged 3. 2 GG's - mother and daughter aged 3 and 5 and 5Pygmy's all different ages 2 girls and 3 boys. All the males are castrated and all 8 goats are disbudded. They are tame and friendly and are used to living with other animals.

I am near St Andrews. Please feel free to contact me for any information.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: 8 goats looking for a loving new home - Fife.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:29:00 am »
OH James  :'(   sending you hugs and  :bouquet:   xx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:33:07 am »
Thanks Lisa, as terrible and hard a desision as this is I have to do what is best for the goats. With moving house I am now further away from them and with the hours that I now work I do not see enough of them. I just hope that somone with lots of space and love is out there waiting for them.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:39:06 am »
They've had a wonderful life with you both and its set them up as gorgeous, tame, lovely goats - they will find someone to love them and I know you will make sure that the right people take on the role as their new carers and treat it as seriously as you have.  You were one of my first 'goat mentors' when I got my 4 and I know how much they mean to you. xx  There is a FB group called 'goaty friends' - wondering if that might be a place to try find homes? just a thought x 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:54:27 am »
 :bouquet: James I know just how much you doted on those goats BUT....they will settle in to a new life soon and have new adventures, you have given them a great few years..in fact your goats have had far less stress in thier life than you have had so its just like humans moving house and  having new relationships, harder for you than it will be for you lovley goats!!!!!

I for one have great respect for you :wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 01:11:21 pm »
best of luck finding them a home James, its such a shame things haven't always worked out for you...
And I miss talking to you on here :)

Little Blue

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »
sorry you need= to do this, I have posted on my FB because my friends often ask if I know any of any x

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 03:38:17 pm »
Thanks everyone. I know that I will miss them far more than they will miss me. Lisa I will try the facebook page you suggested too and thanks Mays.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 10:06:29 pm »
James, I have recently been asked by someone in Perthshire about GG's - would you want me to send them your details/ or you theirs? I cannot take any more GG's (although I know yours are really good breeding), my OH has just told me... (and yours would be too closely related to mine at the moment anyway.)

I am stock officer for the GGGS in the North & Scotland.

I hpe you get your girls (and boys) into loving homes.

Anke.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »
Thanks Anke, splitting them up makes the whole experience tougher. My worries would be that I move the GG's on and then I am still left with the other 6. However, I also worry that I am under using the GG's as they are so rare and should really be bred. Please pass on my details and I shall take it from there  :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 11:26:58 pm »
Oh, James, I am so sorry you are having to take this decision.  I have taken in lots of goats for people, and please be assured, that goats do settle quickly in their new home, especially if they have their friends, or siblings with them.  8 is a lot for someone to take in, although I have taken 5 together!!  Perhaps if you could split them into groups, rehoming would be easier.

I would offer to help, but such a long way from you, and I have 18 goats with this years kids, and more due, so looks a bit like a goat sanctuary already here.

Fingers crossed someone can take all your goats.  Thinking of you :bouquet:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 11:31:03 pm »
Thanks Roxy  :)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 08:20:12 pm »
Oh dear James, I would have loved to take your pygmies, but ours are horned and we can't put them in together.  That's a great pity.  I do know however that Jedburgh Deer Farm (speak to John) were looking for pygmies as an attraction and they would get all year attention there.  Palacerigg Farm near Lanarkshire were looking for some for the same reason a year or so ago - they are a rare breeds park (Jed is not) and would probably love to take your GGs too (speak to Lucy).  Good luck James, perhaps they could all go together after all, fingers crossed.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 09:36:00 pm »
Hi James, so sorry about your goats, you are quite a distance from us but we may be able to home them, what is your time limit?
Regards Ann

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 09:46:02 pm »
Hi Ann, my bunch have been kept at a friends for the last year so there is no rush for them to go. This is purely my decision and I think they need much more attention than what I am able to now give. They are an incredible herd, here's some pictures.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:10:41 pm by jameslindsay »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS