Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: signs of early labour??  (Read 6529 times)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: signs of early labour??
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 10:49:29 pm »
so just for some extra reassurance - i am pretty sure they have  had a little suck on maiseys good nipple - but the other she tore is now dripping with milk and they seem to keep sucking on that. the vet said that the nipple should just be left so hadnt thought itd be a problem. but im concerned that they seem to still be searching for nipple 3 hours after being born.
 do you think that they will have had enough colostrum? what signs should i look for if they may not have?
i will get up at 4/5 to check on them just incase, i have some colostrum here ready to feed them but have heard that bottle feeding the colostrum can mean that they have to be bottle fed from then on?
despite reading lots of books and looking things up i am still unsure or my instincts....help!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 11:36:57 pm »
Hi Poppy - as Jaykay said colostrum is thick and they do have tiny tummys - still doesn't stop me worrying for a day or so that they've had enough but if you see them feeding and I look for 'wiggly tails' then they are getting something - great result. Have you been watching them 3hrs straight or nipping in and out as often when their woken up ie you going in then they will wake up, Mum will wake up and they will feed. I've always taken it that they've had Colostrum if they have fed so not sure on that one. At present I'm 'topping up' 2 lambs as mum has not a lot of milk and they prefer mum much more than the bottle but take it now and again but I guess mum is always best  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 11:59:39 pm »
thanks for the help, milked maiseys one side and tried to feed it to them with not much being taken - one is i am worried about it just standing there looking a bit sad, not bleeting like the other, is he just sleepy and full? and the other is much more lively, took a bit more milk, but is now settling down. i will try to sleep and check them at first light. i worry too much!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 05:22:30 am »
I always BOTTLE feed a minimum of 250ml of colostrum within 2hrs of birth  possibly over 2/3 times...depends on the kid/s.

The reason simply is.... kids cannot absorb colostrum after 6 hrs.  There is a complicated system that stops absorbtion   so it is vital to ensure they have it.... without  they have no protection against their environment.

It is not true that kids will not feed from the dam if you bottle the first feed.

I fear you may have problems with the torn teat..... mastitis is one which can be caused by flies because of the dripping milk.

New born kids will take around 200ml feed within 24hrs of birth........ I never normally feed more than 350ml a feed even when they are senior kids of around 4-6 weeks,  their little tummies are not designed for great big amounts ofliquid.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 07:19:31 am »
thanks fot your advice - they seem much happier this morning after taking a bit more from bottle - this nip is a problem so i will phone the vet today for advice. im sure there myst be something they can do, but vet said sewing it or stopping it from healing nayurally could cause problems. wait and see - 3 hours sleep along with my month old baby needing feeds, its been a fill night! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS