Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello, new goatkeeper(to be), advice needed... (long post, sorry)  (Read 6096 times)

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
I was hoping to be writing my first 'hello' post next week, as the new owner of two 10 month old AOV dairy goats, but a tragedy has struck and things have not worked out as planned - I am in a bit of a pickle and need some advice.

Six months ago I agreed to take on my first goats, last year's kids from a local farm. I have spent the winter going up once a week to learn goat husbandry and milking etc. We have been preparing their new home. I have been a member of the local goat club since July, and trying to do everything right... The two kids - sister and brother (whether) were due to arrive Easter weekend, stock trailer booked and all.

Last week, after one of my shifts at the local farm, it seems I didn't return a bolt properly and after I left the whole herd - my two and the four milking nannies - escaped. They got into the food bin and gorged themselves. Very poorly, acidosis. They have all pulled through except my nanny kid who died on Wednesday. You can imagine the guilt, grief, remorse, worry etc.

I nearly posted on here several times, but couldn't even write about it until I knew the others would be okay. It has been a dreadful week.

Now I know the whether, Rufus, is going to be okay I am faced with a problem. He was really only coming as company for his sister who I was to put into kid this Autumn. I wouldn't dream of not taking him now, even though the farm have said they would understand. Not a chance. But what do I do?

I guess ideally I need another of last year's kids - a goatling nanny - to put with him but they seem few and far between.

Yesterday I visited a farm in Wales and have been offered a milking nanny Anglo Nubian. She is beautiful but am I ready to milk? I wasn't planning to start yet... And she is a big girl. But very gentle and easy apparently. (As is Rufus, well for a kid) and I am proficient at milking after my months of training. Part of me just wants to get on with it after all my months of planning, but I am doubting myself - you can imagine how the events of last week have shaken me. (Although there will be no repeat of last week at my place - lesson learned and incredibly secure feed storage a given).

I don't really even know what my question is, I am just in all of a muddle and need some advice. I hate feeling like this after trying so hard to be responsible and take things slowly etc.

If it were you, as experienced goat keepers, and you found yourself with a 10 month old whether who you could not part with, who would you put with him?

Thank you,
Charlotte

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Hello, new goatkeeper(to be), advice needed... (long post, sorry)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:15 am »
I'm so sorry this happened - what a nasty way to learn that lesson  :-*

Why not find another wether for now. They're easily come by, the boys will make good friends and pets and then you can move into females when you're ready or next year when there are some on offer.

It will allow you to perfect your housing, fences, routine etc without the worry of milking and so on.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:16:24 pm »
I would go for the milking nanny....it will restore your confidence. The other option ofc is another young female to go with your boy. Personally, I wouldn't get another whether unless you are prepared to have 2 unproductive boys eating you out of house and home for the next 10 or so years. That probably sounds harsh to some people, but I'm afraid my animals have to serve a purpose. It sounds as though you're well prepared anyway  :thumbsup:. Try not to beat yourself up about the whole gate thing, accidents happen - it's just unfortunate for you that it was someone else's goats.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »
Have PM'ed you

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 01:36:34 pm »
Tizaala, did you get my pm? :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 02:33:54 pm »

Charlotte, are you sure the goats did'nt let themselves out , the clever sods are quite capable of opening a latch or bolt so don't beat yourself up about it.

Yes thanks.Colliewobble , have just sent you a Pm.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:38:50 pm by tizaala »

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 03:54:52 pm »
As a non owner of goats but a huge fan, you sound very respondsible, and if you like the nanny then I would go for it, you obviously have been trained well and I think you should put last week down to experience. We all make mistakes thats life sometimes, and goats are clever things - maybe they did lift the latch etc, it depends I spose as someone else said on here if you want milk and good nanny go with it, if you are not ready but can afford 2 wethers eating and non productive then go that route - im sure you will make a superb goat keeper!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 04:02:10 pm »
Hello Charlotte

Please don't beat yourself up about it. You sound to me like someone who is taking this new path into goat keeping very seriously indeed, you have gone to great lengths to make sure you are as well informed and prepared as possible, unfortunately goats do have a habit of learning to open bolts so it could well have been that and not your fault at all!! Either way, you sound like someone who will make a great goat keeper, please dust yourself down and take a deep breath, you have many happy times ahead with your own goats.

I lost 2 within a few months of having them, the first was only 8 months old and in my ignorance I bought goats onto my land that had never been wormed, vaccinated etc and we believe that Ronnie may have been struck by something that could have been prevented. Yes, guilt hangs over you for quite a while but we have to move on and learn from our experiences.

I think you need to follow your gut feeling on this one. Personally I'd go for a milker! It sounds like your confidence is at a low ebb now because of what's happened, if you have the time, space and energy for milking a goat this could be just what you need.  However, if it would be tricky to guarantee time for twice daily milking or you don't have someone to stand in should you need it who can milk, then another whether could be an option

take care xx   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 06:25:49 pm »
Thank you so much to everyone for your replies. I am so grateful to all of you.

I hadn't thought at all about a second whether so it was good to have that to ponder, but I don't think it would be wise for me. I do hope to kid one day and if more boys appeared then I guess I would keep them because I am too soft and not a real farmer at all - so I can't really bring even more in already.

It's interesting and heartening that so many people have been so encouraging about the milking nanny. I do feel quite excited and very happy thinking about it...

Time wise, I could do it and cope, it would mean some changes but I work from home so really it's completely do-able. God knows what I would do with all the milk, the plan was to make soap and I had just started to research this but haven't even had a go yet - I thought I had 12 months to plan and practice!!

I will spend tonight reflecting and tomorrow am back to the local farm for more milking etc and to see Rufus.

Again, I am really so grateful for your support and thoughts...
Charlotte

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 06:30:16 pm »
Cheese...easy enough to make soft cheese and simple semi hard and it successfully gets rid of a gallon of milk. Then ofc you need to freeze some to keep for when your girl is dried off ready for kidding. Custard, rice pudding, horlicks....and some new clothes in a larger size for the weight you'll gain eating it all...really, good luck with whatever you do and welcome to the mad mad world of goat keeping  ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 06:32:55 pm »
If you plan to make soap, you will need that year or so to plan and practise, I have no idea how much surplus milk went in the bin in the form of 'soap' failures in the first few months, being a bit OTT in the perfectionist stakes i didn't sell for ages after I started making and you'll need to sort out cosmetic safety assessments, insurance and so on so will have time to play around  :)

Skirza (and Jaykay I think it was!) please when you get chance can you do a post to teach me how to make semi hard goats cheese, I just can't do it whatever I try!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 06:33:03 pm »
I too would go for a nanny! We got ours last june as goatlings and have spent since then feeding them ::) Don't get me wrong I don't mind as I love them to bits, but we COULD have been milking all this time too ;D
As for the doors/gates please please don't beat yourself up, I have OCD, and check my gates a million times before I leave the girls and still they have got out twice! I now secure their gates with bicycle locks ;D I'm just waiting for them to work out how a key works :o :D :D :D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 07:01:18 pm »
Plums, I do as for soft cheese, though drain the curds for a bit longer, put it into the type of plastic cheese mould with holes all round, put the lid on and press it. Leave for anything from a day to a week, depending how far from soft to hard you want it.

Take it out, rinse in cheap and nasty wine to kill off any surface bugs, wrap in cheesecloth, keep somewhere cool (cool room not fridge) for as long as you can bear not to eat it  :) I forgot some once. A year later it was rather mouldy on the outside and like powerful white Stilton on the inside  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 07:14:08 pm »
Plums, I do as for soft cheese, though drain the curds for a bit longer, put it into the type of plastic cheese mould with holes all round, put the lid on and press it. Leave for anything from a day to a week, depending how far from soft to hard you want it.

Take it out, rinse in cheap and nasty wine to kill off any surface bugs, wrap in cheesecloth, keep somewhere cool (cool room not fridge) for as long as you can bear not to eat it  :) I forgot some once. A year later it was rather mouldy on the outside and like powerful white Stilton on the inside  ;D

Thank you!! Never thought about rinsing in the wine, that's brilliant. Would a cool garage be a good place then?  :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 07:19:48 pm »
I think the garage would be perfect, if you can keep the mice from helping themselves  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS