Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maisy has lost a nipple  (Read 2346 times)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
Maisy has lost a nipple
« on: March 31, 2012, 08:44:54 pm »
Well yet another peculiar day at the smallholding today - seemed like it was a day for animal ailments.
Went out to the goats this morning and found that Maisey has one nipple almost sliced about half an inch from the bottom sideways....it was quite a shock. We also found that pip is walking as if she is wearing a splint on her back leg, it swaying outwards as she walks. Both heavily in kid and Maisey due on Easter sunday, i was feeling rather concerned. Luckily the vet was out within a couple of hours but unfortunately bad news. She said theres nothing she can do for the nipple so that breast is lost - so here is hoping when the kids come she only has one and that they are not too rough...and also the flies stay at bay as it is pretty nasty oozing milk and looking rather painful. Vet said theres not much they can do apart from antibiotics if it looks infected at any stage. So fingers crossed....and hopefully Pip just has a sprain....
It sends me to wander what happened....they re in tonight so hopefully whatever happened wont happen again.

Also flock of sheep checked and vaccinated lambs today...in them one of our ewe lambs has a bad wound as if something has bitten her tail...unless there is some barb wire hiding in the fence somewhere and she has got caught! antibiotics for her and spray
Upon looking at the best ram lamb, he seems to have developed a hernia, so again antibiotics...does this occur a lot? having not lambed before and only 2nd year with my flock, I'm not sure. My partner inc rime a previous sheep farmer says it'l be fine, but we were hoping to keep him for breeding stock.

So all in all a very eventful day here in west wales...lets hope April fools doesn't bring any more suprises!!   

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Maisy has lost a nipple
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 09:08:19 pm »
oh dear, what a day!
hope they all make good recoveries and no more bad luck comes your way
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 09:40:14 pm »
If her udder is quite big she may have got her foot caught in it, while trying to get up/lie down. Or if it is very full and heavy she may have tried to "scratch" it with her hind foot, one of mine injured her udder a bit like that last summer when she was at peak lactation. Fortunately that was just a surface wound.

Hope you can get her through kidding and into feeding any kid(s) somehow.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:30:41 pm »
Yes, its likely that Maisie has stood on her teat.  Not very nice, but she will cope with one.  We bottle feed our kids, so maybe you could do that if there is more than one?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:40:11 am »
You may have to have a teat canula inserted permanently because that side will continue to produce milk.

Your Vet is the best person to advise.... I know it is done with cows that so a similar injury.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 07:49:10 pm »
Have never heard of a cannula, the vet said to keep an eye on mastitis and make sure its not hard, other than that she didn't even give her antibiotics. It is looking much better today and no hardness on the upper part of the udder as it were, and shes looking much happier! Fingers crossed shes only having twins as she is rather large and due Sunday, our new goat shed is being finished tomorrow, a step up for her and pip..hope they like it and babies come easily :) 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS