Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newborn soay lamb scouring  (Read 4970 times)

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
Newborn soay lamb scouring
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:09:11 pm »
Hi, We had our second wee soay lamb born this morning and I noticed that she has poo down her back legs, it's yellow so I know  she's getting colostrum and she bright as a wee button following Mum around field etc, but I am not sure whether or not I need to do anything for her runny poo ? It's not as watery as water ( sorry for the details ) but not firm as it's sticking to her back legs and looks like it's run down them,Mum seems well , and they are out in the field  :)
Thanks  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Newborn soay lamb scouring
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:32:20 pm »
It's probably just the rich milk.  It's best to wash it off before it sets or you never get it off.  Picking her up to wash her will give you the chance to look at her closely to see if it's anything more serious.  You could also give her a little 'pink mixture' from the vet, which helps dry up scours.  Just remembered it's called Bimamix or Bimastat
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:37:38 pm »
Thanks Fleecewife, she's Dorcus's lamb  ;D, think she's got lots of milk, a big bag on her , hope you two are well , Susan x

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »
Hi Susan  :wave: :wave:  Hope the rest are all fine.  Can you post a pic on here of Dorcas and her lamb? (clean end  ;D)   We had our first Heb lamb today......

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:34:40 pm »
We are all doing really well thanks, Rose had her lamb last week to our wee coloured tup lamb we got from Julie, she had a wee ewe as well who is chocolate brown, very cute !
This is Gracie, Rose's lamb

I hope this is a pic of Dorcus and wee Iona as we have called her lamb !

Hope these worked I am not fab with my computer !!!  ;D

How lovely having your first wee lamb too  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:02:14 pm by LOCHBYRE »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 10:44:07 pm »
Cutes  :love:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 10:55:27 pm »
Lovely to see Dorcas - I really miss her and all the other ewes we had to sell last year.  We have no breeding Soays now.
The lambs are lovely  :) :)

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 11:01:20 pm »
Awww she's such a lovely sheep  :), she just watched carefully today while i lifted Iona and checked her over and iodined her etc then I gave Dorcus some feed and just sat with them while she ate, she's a lovely girl  :)
I'll try to get pics up once Tess lambs, she's bigger than Dorcus and Rose were so I think maybe twins  ;)
Rab is doing really well too, such a well mannered boy  ;D
I'd heard you sold all your Soays, what a shame  :(, I'll try and keep you up to date with ours  :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 06:53:29 am »
Are they Soays, those chocolate brown sheep - how pretty! I didn't know you could get them in different colours (interested now, though wondering if she needs any more smart, wild sheep  ;))

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 08:04:20 am »
Yes they are Soays, we have solid black, also various different colours, I am sure they have technical names but I 'll discribe them as , fawn and white, blonde, and chocolate brown and white  :P
Our newborn Gracie is all chocolate, born from a solid black ewe put to a fawn and white tup  :)
Fab wee sheep !

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:44:49 pm »
Yes they are Soays, we have solid black, also various different colours, I am sure they have technical names but I 'll discribe them as , fawn and white, blonde, and chocolate brown and white  :P
Our newborn Gracie is all chocolate, born from a solid black ewe put to a fawn and white tup  :)
Fab wee sheep !

:thumbsup: :)

How is Iona today Susan?  Did you get some Bimamix for her or has it dried up on its own?

Jaykay, on St Kilda, about 4% of the Soays are black, but they were hardly ever found on the mainland.  A few years ago my OH and I decided to make them our speciality, so we searched around and built up a small black  breeding flock.  Since then we have sold these sheep to various people in Scotland, including Susan, so the black colour is found a bit more frequently now, but still very unusual. The lighter colour around the eyes is typical for a black Soay.  Sometimes moorit lambs are born to black parents (they look almost black at birth), and two years running we had a piebald lamb from black parents - well one was brown and white, one black and white.  There are at least two breeders in England, Julie Suffolk and Christine Williams, who concentrate on these rarer colours and Julie also goes for polled ewes.
Soays take up so little space.........  I really miss mine.

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 06:44:02 pm »
Iona is doing so well Juliet, she has dried up and I didn't need to get the pink magic  ;D she was leaping about this morning playing with wee Gracie, the two ewes have teamed up and the lambs are loving having each other to play with. I call them the mother and toddler group  :P
Yes Iona is def. Jet black she's very cute  :-*, we just have Tess to lamb and she is black and was put to Rab our black tup so we'll see what happens  :)
Then hopefully we'll move on to Shetland lambing  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS