Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking equipment  (Read 17016 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Milking equipment
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 12:44:40 pm »
I use a white plastic (3Ltr?) food grade bucket, bought some filter papers from local agri supplies I think it was about £8 per 100, make a cone shape into the top of a wide neck jar, (or jug if jars are in use), strain, jar put into cold water to chill, then into fridge. because I only have up to about 2 litres of milk for ourselves I wash the filters and re-use for a few days. bucket and jars are washed in hot soapy water, stick my nose in everyday to check smell, leave upside down to drain.
The wide neck jar I can get my hand in to wash out thoroughly.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 12:43:32 pm »
Well I found a milking machine repair man locally(!!!!!?) yep one or two do exist! and plucked up courage to drag my extremely heavy Fullwood Mini milker out of the barn and tookm it to him to be serviced,he was very suprised(tried to sell me a new one for over a £1000)but thinks he can do it.
Then I handed over(with one hand)my Smallholder milking machine and asked if he could get the simple bits for that...he's given it to "the man" as a project.It works on the same principle as yours Skirza ecept powered by electricity so I don't end up with strained wrist.

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 02:13:57 pm »
I tried the Udderly EZ thingy but I was rather worried by the fact that it applies a constant and unregulated pressure on the teat, instead of a regulated and pulsed pressure which simulates nature. I used it twice and never again then sold it on on ebay a while later.

Milking machine pressure and pulsation rates and ratios  have been studied in depth    and so a simple device like the Udderly is no comparison for a regulated device with pulsation. It is easy to see how it can cause real problems if not used with real caution.   

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 02:32:19 pm »
I use an ancient SS jug with an equally ancient cone milk filter with mesh that we bought at a farm roup.  I strain the milk with a sieve lined with muslin and then refrigerate.

We have recently been given an old milking machine which my husband is in the process of restoring.  Not sure if I will ever use it unless I get more goats.

I don't pasteurise the milk unless I'm making yoghurt or some sort of hard cheese.

My favourite piece of equipment is my milk separator which means I can easily have skimmed milk and cream if I want it.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 12:10:25 pm »
I made this for emergencies but generally I use a stainless steel bucket and strain the milk through a sterilised muslin before chilling it in the freezer for a couple of hours ( I find it loses the 'goaty' taste completely if you do this). Just remember to take it out before it starts to freeze  ;)

Hi Skirza if you are out here (or anybody?)- just wondering where you get the hand pump? I have some jars and suitable fittings, but like the idea of the gauge to regulate pressure, and having the jar seperate. I suppose keeping the tube clean is the main problem?
I don't know how all that hair and dust still manages to get in the milk bucket! Having the milk bucket upturned by the kitchen sink is also getting a bit annoying. (Nowhere for seperate dairy storage)
I'm thinking about the 'Udderly ez' but it does look a bit clumsy to use, and I suppose I'd like to see a supplier of it locally, or from a smallholder supply, complete for goats.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:15:40 pm by penninehillbilly »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »
Well, I've used the UdderlyEz for three years now and not a single problem with my goats' udders.

It's easy to use, it's easy for a relief milker to use, it doesn't get kicked over, it's easy to clean.... and you can get parts for it when you drop it on a flag floor  ::)). No filtering the milk needed, just put the bottle into the fridge or freezer. Gotta say I'm impressed, I won't milk any other way now.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 02:22:14 pm »
Well, I've used the UdderlyEz for three years now and not a single problem with my goats' udders.

It's easy to use, it's easy for a relief milker to use, it doesn't get kicked over, it's easy to clean.... and you can get parts for it when you drop it on a flag floor  ::) ). No filtering the milk needed, just put the bottle into the fridge or freezer. Gotta say I'm impressed, I won't milk any other way now.

I've read your posts JK, which is why I was thinking about one, but I'd prefer to see the pressure gauge, worried about overdoing it!
Also did you buy it AS a goat milker or did you then have to send off for more bits to fit the goat + bigger bottles?

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »
pressure pump can be purchased from here  :thumbsup:

http://www.minivac.co.uk/product.asp

The rest of my emergency milker is made up from a pickled onion jar and some wine making stuff (tubes and bungs) the other end is a 60ml syringe

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »
Big heavy milking machine serviced (he said he's had several to do recently)but horrendous bill and does seem a lot of work for a few pints.
   I don't think he tried servicing the Harvester milker so I'm still trying to sort it out myself.Still stuck for the bits that go in the top of the churn that you put the tubes into and still trying to work out how to fit the one part (heck there are only two parts to work!)I could really do with another churn but can't find one.
Really can't work out why people other than Jon Norris haven't developed a small miking machine over here but we aren't very inventive over here are we whereas over in the States they still have small farmers who milk their goats rather than keep them as pets

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 07:08:08 pm »
The States seem much more set up for smallholders or small farmers than we are, numbers I suppose.

PHB, you're not so far from me, very welcome to come along and see the U-Ez being used if you want.

NickyT

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 05:49:38 pm »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Henry milker? I have seen the EZ milker, but the Henry is slightly cheaper. I am thinking about getting a couple of milking goats, I have had pygmy goats in the past and really took to them.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 08:37:36 pm »
We purchased a milking machine from a show friend who was giving up, it was like new. It now sits in the garage and does not get used  ::) We hand milk into stainless steel buckets, wiping the teats first with teat wipes once finished stripping out we teat dip in an iodine solution in a teat dip
Strain the milk through muslin and we do not pasteurise
Graham

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 08:57:07 pm »
We purchased a milking machine from a show friend who was giving up, it was like new. It now sits in the garage and does not get used  ::) We hand milk into stainless steel buckets, wiping the teats first with teat wipes once finished stripping out we teat dip in an iodine solution in a teat dip
Strain the milk through muslin and we do not pasteurise

What mix is your teat dip? I need to find a teat dip

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 11:47:34 am »
Sokel - pressumably it's easy to hand milk then if you've set aside the machine - or at least just as much hassle as the machine but you don't have all the washing up?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 01:54:04 pm »
here's our Daisy demonstrating our hand/vacuum pump milker. She has pretty large teats which I found tricky to milk by hand. She finds it less stressful and is happy to let anyone milk her, handy for when the children decide they want to have a go. Had the pump etc sent over from the States and with import duty etc & postage it worked out at about £100
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS