Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Headgate  (Read 9486 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Headgate
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 07:18:19 pm »

As I try to do the dagging etc on my own I could do with something off the ground if only 1' high  (to save my back) (could do with a little bent old lady emoticon here or something like the road sign showing OAPs) with either a head restraint or strong post to tie up to - with side rails that could be removed  so that 1) the sheep can't fall off the 'bed' or swing about and 2) could be removed to allow access to do their feet.  Mine have theirs done 'horse' style

Blinkers...

Know the feeling have just been 'bucked off' by a little but lively shearling  who didn't appreciate being tied up while I was trying to dag her bum.  she was showing sign of Fly Strike yesterday - suddenly darted away across the field then laid down - leaped up again and rushed over to the side of the shed and laid down in the shade.  She has a very thick fleece but as yet can't see anything happening.  She seemed okay today though.

I had tried at the local co-op to get either Clik or Crovect but they said much to earlier for them to have any stock... ::) ::)

My GOS piglets :pig: :pig: are so much fun, even if they have trashed their pen already... ;D ;D thanks very much.

The 1' high thingummy sounds ideal........and perhaps it could be fully portable and able to fold-up into a little backpac or something.. ;D ;D....wishful thinking, but maybe someone out there can come up with the perfect item for us ........ every so slightly older and stiffer sheepkeepers  :D :D :D :D

Glad the piggies have settled in - trashed pen so soon means they're very happy  :pig: ;D :pig: ;D :pig:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 07:19:29 pm »
I use a halter or collar when trimming, tie to a gate and use my knee to keep the sheep's side tight to the gate to stop them swinging.

You can get trimming stands that the sheep walk up a ramp, with head stock and sides. They are expensive though. I sure something similar would be easy to make at home, but none of these look very portable.

http://www.peasridge.co.uk/acatalog/Trimming_Stand.html

Ahha - now that Peasridge one is twice the price of the Ascot one which means it must be far more substantial.  Will investigate further  :thumbsup:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 09:36:31 pm »
I use a halter or collar when trimming, tie to a gate and use my knee to keep the sheep's side tight to the gate to stop them swinging.

You can get trimming stands that the sheep walk up a ramp, with head stock and sides. They are expensive though. I sure something similar would be easy to make at home, but none of these look very portable.

http://www.peasridge.co.uk/acatalog/Trimming_Stand.html

Ahha - now that Peasridge one is twice the price of the Ascot one which means it must be far more substantial.  Will investigate further  :thumbsup:

AHHHHaaaaaaa.... :'( :'( :'( :'( looks like I'll have to keep bending over and getting bucked off at that price....I'll add it to the OH's to do list..... ;D
You are never to old to learn something new

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 06:02:33 pm »
Just discovered there is someone making headstocks and trimming stands locally.

Headstocks are apparently £40 and a full stand is £400.  I am trying to find out more while being very nice to husband.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 07:20:40 pm »
Just discovered there is someone making headstocks and trimming stands locally.

Headstocks are apparently £40 and a full stand is £400.  I am trying to find out more while being very nice to husband.

Oh well done Fronhaul.......  :-* :-* :-* to hubby  ;) ;) ;)  keep working on him  :thumbsup:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 11:08:32 am »
I bought one a year ago for £200 and I've just sold it for £100. The sheep didnt like it and struggled more than if they were just loose in the race.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS