Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Headgate  (Read 9485 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Headgate
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:41:08 am »
I'm wondering about investing in one of these to help with routine things like dagging etc (as mentioned in another recent post) but just wondered what feedback anyone has on using one?    Is it going to be one of those pieces of kit that I'll wonder why I'd not bought one sooner, or is it more trouble than its worth??   All feedback very much appreciated.
Thanks all. :wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Headgate
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:02:09 am »
We built a milking stand very successfully, from this pattern which includes a headgate.

I think it would be very easy to make a portable headgate in the same way.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 09:43:26 pm »
We built a milking stand very successfully, from this pattern which includes a headgate.

Oh I was wondering why your milking stand looks so similar to ours....

Re my sheep - I find that just putting a rope halter on and tying them to a corner of two hurdles restrains them well enough for dagging and also for a full clip normally.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »
I generally just use a halter but thought the headgate idea kept them a little more stable ?! 
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:22:56 pm »

I think it would be very easy to make a portable headgate in the same way.

Oh what a nice milking stand.......and I'd never thought of putting rubber matting on mine before.....dohhhh....will have to give that ago  ;), excellent idea.
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:22:52 am »
As I think you know Blinkers I have been trying to find a trimming stand for ages.  My blacks need a lot of trimming and held on a halter even when tethered short tend to swing around a fair amount.  Do you do most of your dagging etc out in the field or do you bring them into the yard?  If you are using it mainly in one place then I think it could be very useful but if portability is a big issue then probably not so useful.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:47:02 am »
I could definitely do with a headgate/stock, but could see mine throwing themselves off that stand and hanging themselves  ;D ;D
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 09:03:28 am »
The milking stand has legs to save my back rather than anything else, I'm sure it would be possible to make it flat to the ground.....

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 12:28:31 pm »
This was more the jobby I had in mind http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Shepherds_Supplies.html
as its portable.    I've got a turnover crate, but it for the odd one or two that have those mucky bums and that I just want to catch up and trim up without breaking my back or needing another pair of hands.   Anyone use one?
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 03:12:35 pm »
I've got something similar. I find if you are dagging you either have to stand astride them to trim the worst off or get something either side of them to stop them dancing to either side, or of course someone to help.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 07:51:16 pm »
I've got something similar. I find if you are dagging you either have to stand astride them to trim the worst off or get something either side of them to stop them dancing to either side, or of course someone to help.

Its the 'dancing' bit I'm trying to eliminate  ;D ;D ;D  I usually do stradle them when I'm dagging but when they're tied up in a halter you can bet your bottom dollar they'll suddenly make a lunge and then I'm in a heep on the ground having been bucked off by the sheep  ::) ;D ::) ;D  I wondered if the headgate would keep them more imobilised.....as it were  ??? ???
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 09:31:51 pm »

Its the 'dancing' bit I'm trying to eliminate  ;D ;D ;D  I usually do straddle them when I'm dagging but when they're tied up in a halter you can bet your bottom dollar they'll suddenly make a lunge and then I'm in a heep on the ground h. aving been bucked off by the sheep  ::) ;D ::) ;D  I wondered if the headgate would keep them more imobilised.....as it were  ??? ???

As I try to do the dagging etc on my own I could do with something off the ground if only 1' high  (to save my back) (could do with a little bent old lady emoticon here or something like the road sign showing OAPs) with either a head restraint or strong post to tie up to - with side rails that could be removed  so that 1) the sheep can't fall off the 'bed' or swing about and 2) could be removed to allow access to do their feet.  Mine have theirs done 'horse' style

Blinkers...

Know the feeling have just been 'bucked off' by a little but lively shearling  who didn't appreciate being tied up while I was trying to dag her bum.  she was showing sign of Fly Strike yesterday - suddenly darted away across the field then laid down - leaped up again and rushed over to the side of the shed and laid down in the shade.  She has a very thick fleece but as yet can't see anything happening.  She seemed okay today though.

I had tried at the local co-op to get either Clik or Crovect but they said much to earlier for them to have any stock... ::) ::)

My GOS piglets :pig: :pig: are so much fun, even if they have trashed their pen already... ;D ;D thanks very much.
You are never to old to learn something new

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 10:18:43 pm »
I know some of the ryeland show people have what is I can only describe as a wooden car wheel ramp only bigger where they walk the sheep up onto and they can then put in or remove the wooden side(s) as needed, but they are then again used in conjunction to a head stand attached to a hurdle or gate otherwise they would walk backwards.

Tell me about being bucked off the sheep. I find the rams are the worst, they lull you into a false sense of security being so laid back, then off they go with you still riding bare back, and they are not small boys. ;D
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 11:08:51 am »

Tell me about being bucked off the sheep. I find the rams are the worst, they lull you into a false sense of security being so laid back, then off they go with you still riding bare back, and they are not small boys. ;D

Weyhey.....you and me both Kaz  ;D ;D   I'm sure they stand there plotting for a few minutes and then say to themselves "GO"........and go they do LOL.     I'm gonna get one of these headclamp things and see how I get on.  It'll be on Ebay if I don't get on with it  :thumbsup:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 11:23:08 am »
I use a halter or collar when trimming, tie to a gate and use my knee to keep the sheep's side tight to the gate to stop them swinging.

You can get trimming stands that the sheep walk up a ramp, with head stock and sides. They are expensive though. I sure something similar would be easy to make at home, but none of these look very portable.

http://www.peasridge.co.uk/acatalog/Trimming_Stand.html
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS