Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: male sheepdog puppy names?  (Read 29462 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
male sheepdog puppy names?
« on: March 31, 2012, 08:23:28 am »
Think we have one we like...Corrie, just wondered if anyone has any other suggestions?  He comes in 10 days but will be registered with ISDS, so thinking about it now.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: male sheepdog puppy names?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:38:44 am »
They're often one syllable, for ease of shouting....

Skye, Tarn, Ben, Brock (my friend's collie, called Brock, is known as Brocollie off duty  :D), Tyke, Glen, Red, Blue (the last for red and merge collies respectively), Max, Finn......

Bangbang

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 09:10:16 am »
Our 7 month old BC is called Zip
The BC we lost last year (18years old) was call Tess

Short sharp names is our preference.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:40:34 am »
Sorry, but I always prefer two syllable names - you can change the inflection so much more readily - I really like Corrie, stick with what you like yourselves.  I am sure he will suit it very well. :)  I look forward to seeing photos of Corrie when he arrives.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:26:25 am »
My 7 months old collie is rascal because that is what he is. Not a planned name but when he had been here a few days we kept referring to him as a little rascal so the name stuck. Corrie is a good strong name.  :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 10:49:56 am »
Kai?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:09:08 am »
My father trained gundogs  ....... same principle ........ always chose one syllable names. Easy, quick and clear.

Ben, Tom, Meg and so on. Sure that he will do his job, though, whatever you call him.

Have fun.   ;D

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 11:18:42 am »
I have a very strange habbit of adding onto my dogs names depending on how they are (and whos around), I like Corrie too, ours are Rhum (rhum ti tum)  Islay (Lar Lar) Rohan(Row ee ann) and Ben (Ben 10) I know, thats me all over,  ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 11:51:44 am »
I agree with Sandy as to the longer sound - mine are Allez(sometimes AL), Bobby(Sometiem Bob, or Bobkins), Freckles (sometimes Ferecks), and Belle (just too short so always gets corrupted to Belbel or Babybel)   My dogs are trained for gundog work too.  You can put so much variation into the two syllables.  I'm secretary and treasurer of a working gundog club, and many of our members' retrievers are called 'Corrie' would you believe! ::) ;D  Don't get many 'Sheps' funnily enough  ;) ;) ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 12:21:42 pm »
My brother had a rescue dog called Margret and he got so embarrassed calling her!!!

Me and hubby talk about dog names like other couples talk about baby names, we bought a patterdale and on the way to collect him we went through loads of names, then as soon as we saw him we knew he was "Billy" sometimes the dog aquires  a name but if you give a dog too embarrasing name you teenage son or hubby may never want to take them out.....I did like the night garden names, tinky winky, lar lay, Makka pakka and Poe  ..now I know they are spelt wrong but they were not around when I went to school!!!!    I think Rhum would suite the name Makka Pakka

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 01:52:14 pm »
Google Border Collie names. They are traditionally one- syllable.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 02:12:39 pm »
Mine were origionally called Bridie and Pilot, now they are Red Dog and Pi.
However Red Dog responds as soon as she hears the 'Red' so the 'Dog' bit is merely my fancy.
I think everyone I know with a sheepdog calls it a single syllable name, even if it's 'proper' name is longer ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 02:20:13 am »
Working collies are traditionally given 'people' names, as they are viewed as a colleague, a team-mate.  And yes, one syllable or two, depending on the handler's preference.

Skip and Ted came with their names (I think Ted is a superb working collie name), I named Dot.  Skip is sometimes Skipper, and when not working being petted he may occasionally be Skippy Doo Doo. :-[   Dot is Dot, Dottie or Dottie Dot, depending on how many syllables I need :D

I love Brock Collie  :D

Can't see anything wrong with Corrie Collie - if it suits him when you see him, go with it.  I went to meet Dot armed with the name Mo, but the instant I saw her I knew she was Dot.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 11:04:28 am »
Gem......arrived with that name and she is!!!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 11:27:37 pm »
Gem......arrived with that name and she is!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS