Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: guinea fowl  (Read 2889 times)

rikkib

• Joined Sep 2010
guinea fowl
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:11:52 pm »
anybody out there help me i have aquired7 seem to be femails but not 100% have kept them penned wih my hens for the past 2 weeks no probs till we tried to let them freerange off they went to neighbours pens sat their calling till they were let in  i recoverd them they have now been kept in  for 1 week what to do anybody help please

princesspiggy

Re: guinea fowl
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:49:26 pm »
ours are free range, they once went to the village  :o   they also regulary go to neighbours    :o   
my friend used to keep hers in an open-fronted/meshed in barn. i think the noise can be a nuisance but wev never had an agressive one so just let them roam.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:41:50 am »
Never kept them myself but know a few people who do. They have all said that they are quite difficult to train ie. to get them to sleep indoors or stay where they should. They all did what you did but I think in a lot of cases the guinea fowl soon started finding their own roosting places and sleeping out. Some visited other farms and one man said that he didnt see his for weeks at one point, thought Mr Fox had eaten them and one morning there they were back in the yard! Guess they like to be truly free range. They are beautiful though.

Hope someone comes along who can give you more training advice.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 08:12:42 am »
You just won't train adult birds, I'm afraid :( You have to get them tiny, day olds or near. Even then they will grow minds of their own when it comes to roosting. The best roost for them is an open sided box with perches and a landing board,turned away from the prevailing wind and put on a very high post.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:09:19 am »
My landlord has some, an I'm sure the only reason they come home to the chicken house is the fact the chicken house is made from an old poly tunnel frame covered with weldmesh and plastic. It's huge and has tree branches fixed right up by the roof for the gleanies to roost on. If he had an normal hen house no way would they go in it!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS