Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much to feed chickens?  (Read 5087 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
How much to feed chickens?
« on: April 05, 2009, 01:26:34 am »
Ive 6 hens and a rooster who can dig up whatever critters they like during the day. i give them 250g of layers crumble every second day and 500g the other. am i giving them enough.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: How much to feed chickens?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:15:38 pm »
What does it say on the bag?

We feed ours adlib, so I've no idea what's right.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 09:40:51 pm »
says nothing on the bag

compost

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 10:42:38 pm »
i think the guideline is about 110g per bird per day for chickens a bit more for ducks.
thats what i am expected to give by the soil association and the birds are obviously free ranging all daylight hours.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 12:14:00 pm »
that sounds about right i read somewhere to give them about 7oz which about 196g thats for non free range. cheers thanks.

do u feed your ducks the same food as your chucks. im givin my ducks the layers crumble also. seem to like it but it can get quite messy and the chucks are always mooching for a easy lunch

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:27:23 pm »
Hello,

We feed our chickens, ducks and geese all the same (wholesome hen by Irwins feeds). It's in a galvanised feeder during the day and again they have access to it (and water) in their houses at night. It might add to your feed costs a little but then you notice a corresponding increase in egg production.

Cheers

Gavin

Wellieboots

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:35:00 pm »
Chickens are grazers, so give them a feeder & let them decide how much they want. Chooks (birds) ain't like dogs etc. as they have a finite size of crop & that dictates to them when they are full. Trying to gauge exactly how much to give them isn't the best solution & not a natural approach to allowing them to decide when enough is enough (again they aint dogs and will stop long before they are full)! :farmer:

Ross

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 11:59:09 pm »
What is crumble? Is it mash or pellets or what?
There is no problem in the world that cannot be fixed by the judicious application of the appropriate hammer.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 01:20:31 pm »
its like a mash ground up corn it think it is

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:30:09 pm »
I have 20 chooks.  They have adlib layers pellets, 2 pints of mixed corn in the morning.  At the weekend the have a treat of a soaked mix of sugar beet, porridge oats, bran, oyster shell, poultry spice and a vitamin tonic messy, but they love it and they layed all winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS