Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My first Shetland lamb  (Read 7928 times)

Bangbang

Re: My first Shetland lamb
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 06:36:58 pm »
Well done jaykay, :thumbsup: 

great pics, I agree, our new lambs keep us smiling and laughing.  :)

Ping - the true sign of Spring  ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 06:37:35 pm »
That playing on mum's back seems to be a typical Shetland thing? My other cross lambs don't do it at all....

I would agree that Shetland is best eaten as hogget (or even older), if they are mainly on grass they put on weight in their second summer rather than their first, and the legs make just the best roast ever (on the bone and whole that is). So yes, wait and castrate when they are ready... just make sure you keep an "accurate" date of their births... It is just a bother that they take up space in the lambing pens...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 06:41:07 pm »
They are so cute when little  :thumbsup:

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 09:13:08 am »
we crossed our shetland ewes with a suffolk boy this year (who did the deed before he went off to the freeezer) as we wanted to see if we could get some bigger joints but low fat (thanks shetlands) result we have eight coloured suffolks!!!  2 blondes 4 spotted and two that can only be described as fresians!!! (came out of a black ewe) and the first thing they do every morning is bounce out of the sheds like a group of bunnies and chase the geese much to the dismay of their mummies.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS