Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My first Shetland lamb  (Read 7929 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
My first Shetland lamb
« on: March 29, 2012, 08:58:50 pm »

In which I learn that Shetlands tend to go only 146 days, so my neat 5th Nov, 1st April-start-of-the-Easter-holidays failed a bit and she lambed at first light this morning. Despite being mad (flighty) she likes him very much and they talk lots to each other  ;D I haven't seen him drink, mainly cos she's so edgy when I'm around I think. I've picked him up a couple of times though and he has a fat little belly  ;D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: My first Shetland lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:02:35 pm »
Oh super,  Jaykay you beat me to it - think my first Shetland lamb/s is/are imminent - but of course could be another day or so - she has an udder for the 5000 so can't be long off
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:03:17 pm »
Lovely lamb  :) :) :) :) :)
Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:03:52 pm »
Well done he looks lovely, I got rid of my shetlands last year and really miss them they are such nice little sheep
Anne

Bangbang

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:08:43 pm »
Well done Jaykay.. :thumbsup:

Aawww! So cute.... What flavour Shetland is it ?  :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »
Oh he's lovely!!!! A what a good mum!

If his tummy is full and hes warm and if you pick him up when he's lying down and pop him down and he does a biiiig stretch then he's fine.

Congrats to you! Ive missed out on the lambing this year due to an imminent operation, so have 24 bored looking empty Shetland ewes in the field :-((( roll on next year!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 09:55:48 pm »
Oh, brilliant!   :thumbsup:   So glad you are off to such a good start - albeit a little earlier than expected  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 05:28:53 am »
Thanks all  :)

What flavour Shetland is it
The ewe is a grey katmoget, the tup is black.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 07:17:33 am »
We wont start lambing till late April/ May up here.Congratulations.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 08:22:55 am »
My lambs are due in the next week. Lovely, isn't it :) I only have five ewes and borrowed a black tup so am hoping for a nice black ewe lamb.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 08:30:30 am »
Lovely  , nice lamb and super picture , well done you. ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 09:14:54 am »
 :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 04:07:42 pm »
He's got away with not bring ringed today, nothing has dropped - I can feel balls but they are not properly in his scrotum. I left my Roughs entire as they went to the butchers by Oct so I'm not sure if I'm trying to do him too early? Or is it another Shetland thing?  :D

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 04:27:57 pm »
Sometimes takes a day or two for them to drop properly in my experience. also sometimes a ewe can be very protective of there lambs but some come round after a day or two a bit of hard feed does wonders in my experience.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 04:48:19 pm »
He's got away with not bring ringed today, nothing has dropped - I can feel balls but they are not properly in his scrotum. I left my Roughs entire as they went to the butchers by Oct so I'm not sure if I'm trying to do him too early? Or is it another Shetland thing?  :D
I've had a few of ours (commercial sheep) where I've had to wait an extra day or two this year, not sure why.  Usually we get no more than a handful in about 400-ish lambs, this year it's been a much more noticeable number where I haven't been able to ring them on the second day.  36 - 48 hours is my preferred timing - usually they've dropped, the lamb is fed and strong, but it's still early enough that there's only a very short period of discomfort.  A day or two later, they always seem to feel it a bit more, and for a few minutes more. :o

I think I've heard a few on here talking about being a struggle to ring some of the smaller primitives within the statutory week, as their little testicles are too small and slip through the ring!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS