Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: If sheep aren't born to die ...  (Read 3099 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
If sheep aren't born to die ...
« on: March 28, 2012, 01:17:26 pm »
... they have various ways of appearing that they are trying their best!    :D

Yesterday afternoon I came home to see a sheep lying in an unusual position, flat out with head, neck and legs stuck straight out - a position only seen before in my deceased sheep!  I thought, oh no, not another one, a pregnant Charollais too - what is going on?? I had to attend to something pressing before I could go and inspect the sheep, but I kept looking over to see if she was moving.  All the other sheep moved a bit but not this one.  So I went over, the other sheep got up but not this one.  I was just trying to figure out how I was going to move her out of the field when she suddenly got up  ::).

Then later in the afternoon I was on the yard, looked over at the ewes all lying down then saw some legs waving around in the air in the midst of them.  Went over and there was a pregnant ewe cast on her back like a turtle, so I had to roll her over  ::) ::).

Then in the evening I went out again, all the flock came to the gate but I could hear a loud baaing from the other side of the field.  On inspection it was a ewe with her head stuck in the stock fencing  ::) ::) ::)

Wonder what tricks they will have for me today?  ;D :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

HappyHippy

Re: If sheep aren't born to die ...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 01:20:38 pm »
Which is precisely why I'll stick with my pigs thanks  ;) :D :D :D

Ah, the joys of animal ownership eh?!  ::) ;D :D ;D :D :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 02:30:47 pm »
Or Remy you could look at it from the opposite angle - your sheep got into some tricky situations but because they are born survivors they didn't die.  The stuck ewe was very bright to let you know she was stuck  8) :thumbsup:  OK so you had to help the cowped ones, but one did wave for you to come and rescue her  ;D :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:10 pm »
That's sheep for you!   :D

BTW, if you have a pregnant ewe lying down flat and not moving, get over there and check it out straight away - if it's hypocalcaemia, minutes matter.  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 06:03:03 pm »

Yesterday afternoon I came home to see a sheep lying in an unusual position, flat out with head, neck and legs stuck straight out - a position only seen before in my deceased sheep!

And if she is doing this post lambing it is probably staggers ie magnesium deficiency. Get some into her quick or she is a goner!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:04:11 pm »
Flipping heck as if I don't have enough to worry about!!  :o

hypocalcaemia
staggers

or it's dead!

so what do I add to my emergency list for these two potential disasters ..

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:01:30 pm »
Calciject for Hypocalcaemia (is it about 80ml( :-\) by injection under the skin in two or three places over the ribcage), usually occurs for sheep pre-lambing, and Magniject for grass staggers, same method of injection. use a thick needle, and if you have the time warm the slution up a bit in a bucket of warm water as you go out to the sheep.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 08:56:07 am »
I have a high quality lick which I hope will help them get the correct vits and minerals, but will add these two - are they from the vet or can you get them from feed merchants?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 12:37:24 pm »
I had a wilts ewe who was in the habit of lying down on her side, as if shed been pushed over, eyes closed.....

Twice I came up on her and got close enough to read her tag, thinking shed died and twice she opened her eyes and shot off like a bolt into the distance. That was in autumn, she's never done it since and all seem to be in good nick.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS