Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 poorly chickens. had to put them down  (Read 2144 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
2 poorly chickens. had to put them down
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:35:39 am »
Hi there, had a sad couple of days. We have a number of rescued barn hens that are about 18 months old. A couple of days ago, we found one hunched up by their food bowl and we suspected it to be egg bound. It looked very sad and we thought it best to put it out of its misery straight away. Last night we found a chicken with quite a nasty prolapse. Although she seemed happy enough we thought it best for her to have the same fate. Do you think this is just bad luck or do you think there might be something more sinister going on? They were on mixed corn and layers pellets but I have taken away the corn now in case that was a problem. They are free range all day. They are due a wormer this week but I am worried that this might harm them if they are already poorly. Any advice would be welcome.

lill

• Joined May 2011
Re: 2 poorly chickens. had to put them down
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:03:58 am »
you did the kindest thing for your chickens by pits, i know it is a loss but better to be kind to the bird than let it suffer for longer :chook: leave the others for the moment and see how they go

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:40:41 am »
No, I don't think there's anything sinister going on. I do think that barn hybrids have quite a hard life and therefore quite a short one - they will have laid like mad last year, bless them.
I would carry on with the worming - flubenvet is pretty mild and in fact having worms is likely to be worse for their health.
Sorry you've had such a rotten time with them lately - but they're lucky they've ended up with someone who is prepared to make the hard decisions.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:50 pm »
Thanks for your reassurance. Will worm them with flubanvet and give them some poultry spice and some extra grit and hope they are ok with some tlc. I guess ill have to be prepared for some more to go over the course of the year. Just got 16 new rescues who are kept separate at the moment so won't integrate them till I know they are all ok. X

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »
That all sounds very sensible  :thumbsup:

Mel

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:02:58 pm »
I purchased some ex batts last year-they were in horrendous condition,they all feathered up nicely and ended up with shiny plumage but several went the same way I'm afraid,I have lost four go over 5 weeks now,it seems they were probably nearing the end anyhow,two just dropped dead with no apparent conditions and one was gasping for air and her face had turned purple! she had laid in the morning and was ok.done an autopsy and did not find anything in her windpipe,very odd.

You have definitely done the best thing for them,it is horrid to see anything suffer!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS