Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks for the table  (Read 3031 times)

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
Ducks for the table
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:21:00 pm »
We'd quite like to try growing a few ducks for our table, but don't know which are the best breed for the job.  We have an orchard, into which I can run a small trickle of water to fill a tub for some splashy fun, and can pop a duck house in there too.  It has electric fence around it already, fr our other animals, so I don't expect a foxy visitor to be too keen on trying to get in.

I was thinking of buying day-old or growers rather than breeding, at least to begin with.

Any suggestions/experience welcome.
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Ducks for the table
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 02:26:36 pm »
I would go for Aylesburys or Saxonys. They are easy to keep and grow quickly. Don't expect your electric fencing to keep foxy out though. He'll jump over it >:(

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:59:09 pm »
thats why you should always put 1 or 2 strands of live wire 1ft and 2ft away from the fence about 1 ft up so foxy cant get close enough to jump or dig

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:33:28 pm »
Thanks - I love Aylesburys, so maybe that'd be the ones to go for.

Ref Monsieur Reynard... he's not managed to get one of our Light Sussex birds, so we are hoping that the ducks will also be safe.  I assume that ducks tuck themselves into a house at night just like hens?  We then lock up the doors until morning time, and even when they come out the area is protected by the electric fence.

www.cinderhillfarm.com

Anais Nin

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:51:59 am »
You may find you need to herd your ducks into their house at night, especially in fine weather. They soon become trained though and will file in as soon as they see you coming in the evening. I use a long bamboo to herd them.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 07:58:57 am »
the aylesbery duck i think is the fastest growing one (as long as mr fox dos'nt eat it first) duck stuffed with oranges  :yum: :yum: good luck

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:43:38 am »
We do Aylesburys for the table and they are pretty easy to keep and grow on. We usually have a drake and 4-5 ducks and get a couple of hatchings in each year so can't advise on where to get day-olds from I'm afraid. They are quick to finish - should be ready to eat after about 10-12 weeks. Ours always need herding in at night and they are the favourite food of the fox as unlike the chickens they can't fly away from him so do lock them up nice and early. If you've not kept ducks before then you need to be prepared for the astonishing amount of poo they produce!

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:06:55 am »
We do Aylesburys for the table and they are pretty easy to keep and grow on. We usually have a drake and 4-5 ducks and get a couple of hatchings in each year so can't advise on where to get day-olds from I'm afraid. They are quick to finish - should be ready to eat after about 10-12 weeks. Ours always need herding in at night and they are the favourite food of the fox as unlike the chickens they can't fly away from him so do lock them up nice and early. If you've not kept ducks before then you need to be prepared for the astonishing amount of poo they produce!

What, more even than my 8 month old springer spaniels?!  :D

That's helpful, thank you!
www.cinderhillfarm.com

Anais Nin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS