Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Forgotten Products  (Read 7557 times)

Bangbang

Forgotten Products
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:33:49 pm »
Posting ( inspired by robert waddell & Lill )

As a kid on cleaning duties I was given VIM ? to use.
don't know if it still exists - but I still remember my sore and very red hands.

Any other (nearly) forgotten products ?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:07:24 am by Bangbang »

robert waddell

Re: Forgotten Products
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:59:07 pm »
Fry's 5 boys chocolate :farmer:

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:03:26 pm »
VIM is good for removing stains on lino!! No lino anymore either!!

That horrid toilet roll IZAL, do they still make Germalene? My dad used Brylcream but I think you can still get that too, Black dubbing (not sure if that correct) to polish the fire surround although I used black boot polish some times!!!  I will have a think...???

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:11:41 pm »
i am wondering about you sandy  with this fixation for izal toilet paper and now this admition to being naked in wellies       do you sing    take me dancing naked in the rain at the same time ;) :farmer:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:14:21 pm »
Is the Fry's the dark chocolate bar with sweet centre - loved that - not seen one for a long time
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:16:07 pm »
They do still make Germalene but its not the same pink colour that it used to be and I don't think its as good.

I remember VIM and IZAL. Bronco was similar.

How about OMO? I am not sure you can get it in the UK now but I have seen it abroad.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 10:19:03 pm »
Germaline - to combat oil if I remember - Dad used it a lot when rebuilding a landie - along with lost of Swarfiga - spelt wrong of course
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 10:26:03 pm »
the Fry's chocolate was anticipation expectation and the pics of the wee boys face all happy when he started the bar and crying when it was finished
then there was cabana bars and mint cracknel
bruckly they made two types of the bar one with white fondant and the other with fruit flavoured fondant
OMO was used by women playing away    it meant old man out and time to come in for a good time :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:37:46 pm »
You can still get lino (linoleum)  One brand name is Marmoleum - I used it in the kitchen/family room of the house I built - it's still there 7 years later and looks as good as new (friends bought the house from me so i visit from time to time)
Can you still get Virol?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bangbang

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:43:24 pm »
Where do you rub it in ? (OH asked me!)  ;D ;D :thumbsup:

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:52:49 pm »
do you sing    take me dancing naked in the rain at the same time
Thats spooky because it was well known thats what I did, think that was a hit at the time"""

Spangles were nice, the good old libberty bodice? garters and those rubber corsetts that people used to get slim...I was TOO young but I remember a lodger having one!! errrrrrrrrr, Those mens trousers that go up to your chest a bit like SImon Cowels!! 

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 10:55:17 pm »
Hmm, I'm feeling a tad old fashioned here. I've got both germolene AND Frys in the cupboard.  ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 06:51:23 am »
Chemico

Pink creamy stuff

Used to come in big tubs. We used to use it to clean the baths at school.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 07:00:38 am »
You still get Fry's Cream, but there was also Fry's peppermint cream and Fry's Five Centre, which was the fruit one. Other sweets - Amazin' Raisin, Aztec. You used to get fruit spangles and Old English, which had more "adult" flavours like aniseed.

Germolene was for cuts and scrapes and stung like hell, if I remember correctly.

I had a liberty bodice ;D and now those rubber corsets are called bodyshapers but still just move the fat around  ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 07:04:23 am »
I'm sure many of these things are still in existence - they've just been re-branded and re-packaged.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS