Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piglet creep feed  (Read 7031 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Piglet creep feed
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:42:56 am »
Does anyone know what piglet creep feed is, or any suppliers in the UK who have it?  I have been on the internet for hours and cannot find anything.   This is to supplement the SCA Multimilk milk replacement product I am giving my two little miracle Tamworth babies, who are both now doing well, from 7 - 21 days old, and I am presuming it is something quite different from squashed up ordinary pig nuts.   Also, they are already whizzing around outside so have access to soil and grass, but should I give them extra iron as well, if so, where does one get that?   Tamsaddle

robert waddell

Re: Piglet creep feed
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:59:41 am »
creep feed is the 22%protein feed that most of the feed company's supply   make sure it is in date
iron if your piglets are getting access to soil outside they will be getting iron from that the iron injection is about £12 for 100 doses but is meant for piglets that are commercially reared with no access to soil rubbing mud on mums teats or providing lumps of earth fer them is an alternative not all agri suppliers will stock it only if they are in a pig area where demand dictates they stock it :farmer:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:08:27 am »
At the moment cannot find any supplierss with pig feed with more than 17% protein, and certainly not Farmgate which is the main available stuff down here.   22% is exactly what I'm looking for - their replacement milk is 23%.    Please could you give me a supplier name Robert, I'd be most grateful - Tamsaddle

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:15:36 am »
Harbro definately do it Tamsaddle, but it might be tricky for you to get down with you. Check Carrs Billington's, Marriages feeds and Dodson & Horrell (they do a pot bellied food which has a different protien level too) you might need to phone them to talk to someone about the feeds  ;) Might it be possible to give them standard nuts with something extra added for protien ?
On the iron, I've seen studies in outdoor pigs who were given iron jabs verus those who weren't - the studies showed that there was an increase in weight gain in those given the jab, both before weaning and post weaning and finishing times. The stuff I use is called Gleptosil and you'll be able to get it from Holmefield Farm supplies in York or your local vet should be able to order it for you (remember small gauge piglet sized needles  ;)) It's personal choice whether you do or don't - I do though  :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen  :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:39:12 am »
(remember small gauge piglet sized needles  ;)

which is what guage?
 :wave:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:30:29 pm by princesspiggy »

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:20:53 pm »
Tamsaddle, not sure if you have a local branch of SCATS, but they sell grower pellets. Also if you have a local stockist of Dukes & Botley feeds they also do a grower pellet, neither are GM free though  :(

I've been soaking Sow and Weaner nuts (Farmgate) in Faramate milk for my hand reared piglet. He has been on straight un-soaked nuts for the past week, he is seven weeks now - and growing like a weed.  :thumbsup:

HTH  :pig:

ETA -

Botley Mills
Mill Hill
Botley
Southampton
SO30 2GB

Tel. 01489 772900    shop@botleymills.co.uk
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:30:09 pm by BadgerFace »
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 03:48:31 pm »
(remember small gauge piglet sized needles  ;)

which is what guage?
 :wave:
I'd go for 20G 5/8 inch size for iron and 21G 1/2 inch size for everything else for young piglets  ;)
You can do the iron jabs with the 21G, it just takes slightly longer as the iron seems to be a thicker substance than wormer/antibiotics.
HTH
Karen x

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 04:12:19 pm »
Many thanks for all your suggestions.   I will check all of them out first thing Monday - Tamsaddle

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 07:18:52 pm »
thanks karen, thats helpful   :D :wave:

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:04:31 pm »
 :wave: heygates do a creep feed too

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 09:59:53 am »
Tam
Round here creep is sold under the name of 'grower' its tiny pellets about 19% protein so if you ask you preferred supplier for grower you'll end up with the right stuff. If you ask for creep here you get lamb food! :P
HTh
mandy :pig:

chickenfeed

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 11:12:56 am »
 :wave: heygates is called creepgrow pellets 22% protein then they go onto country finisher pellets 19%

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 10:43:12 am »
Yippee - I have managed to get some Heygates creepgrow pellets, and they deliver to an outlet only 30 minutes drive from here.   Thanks so much for the lead, would never have found it without your help!  Tamsaddle

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS