Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: back fat  (Read 6276 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: back fat
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 01:08:59 pm »
Sorry (I was having a grey-haired moment) I was thinking of the flair fat ::)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »
All butchered here.
Blondie talked of cutting back on protein - protein is not cabs. The respiratory quotient of carbs is one and protein is about .78.
Cutting down on carbs will help an animal metabolise fat before they metabolise the protein they have layed down ( i.e. muscle or meat). Pigs and our metabolism are essentially the same and we both lay down fat, build muscle or develop hard bones for the same  reasons explained by food intake.
I did work my socks off collecting and storing nuts and fruit , cooking veg every day (mixed with a flour compliment) and trying to avoid buying industrially produced pig nuts.
The butchered pigs were fantastic - the Cul Noir seems to lay fat on the rump and belly but not as much on the shoulders or flanks. We do not want copious amounts of lard to store ( ducks give us the fat we need) and the meat we have looks and tastes great - even without pig nuts and grains or the poundage of protein specified above by others.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Billy Rhomboid

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 07:16:37 pm »
It is all a question of what you are breeding the pigs for. We use a huge amount of back fat in our charcuterie  and sell surplus by the slab to restaurants - the back fat from our mangas gets more than regular pork. I am very disappointed with anything less than 3 inches of back fat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS