Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb can't stand  (Read 16526 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: lamb can't stand
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 10:05:18 pm »
We had a kid born like that 2 years ago - I splinted and did physio for 7-10 days and he did great - I was terrified at the start but he was quite happy with his makeshift splints of wadding and hosepipe!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

fleurky

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 10:42:21 pm »
Two of mine couldn't stand - they sort of straddled out (legs 90 degrees to body - particularly front).  I used tights in a figure of eight to loosely bind their legs together, then helped them stand and supported them. They were suprisingly good at standing unaided within a few days, and walking (like ATAT's I admit!) within a week  Sadly I lost one to bloat, but the other is doing really well and loves jumping although she is not terribly strong 4 weeks later. Good luck!

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »
Hi Brucklay, yes please pm....  it would be good to know how you corrected it, what you used for splints etc.  Thanks.

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 01:53:32 pm »
Fleurky, that made me laugh out loud. ATATs! I remember my boys having those Starwars toys.   That's what it's like trying to get him to stand against a strawbale.  Another great suggestion, to bind the legs together, temporarily.  I've been standing his front legs (which he can't stand on) on the bale, so at least his back legs get some therapy too.

fleurky

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 09:03:57 pm »
=) how is he/she doing?  Any stronger? Hope so! Mine now comes for walks through the woods with myself and my 4 dogs and loves it (she thinks she's a dog and actively seeks out their company).  She's still quite weak in the hind legs but can hop and skip. Not sure she'll ever go to market though!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 10:52:45 am »
we have had several knuckled over in the last few years. they all came right :)  We keep them on limited (quiet) turnout on nice unbroken ground, do stretches and massage (we didnt splint), they all came right in a week or so :) xx

Other lamby, get him  checked out/jabbed asap xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS