Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb can't stand  (Read 16527 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
lamb can't stand
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:53:30 am »
Help please and advice. I had a difficult lambing 36 hours ago, much manipulation but two huge alive lambs and mum ok. I notice on has a problem with it's front shoulder which make it struggle to stand. It has got worse and now makes very little effort to stand at all. I wonder whether this may be the strapping applied by the vet to try to bind it back in. She suspected torn/stretched ligaments but I'm wondering if something else is going on here. Any ideas? Perhaps there is more than just a damaged shoulder?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: lamb can't stand
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:09:53 pm »
If it was a difficult birth which much pulling, the vet could well be right - it might just hurt a lot! Is it still strapped?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:20:50 pm »
I'm sure you'll be helping the lamb to suckle if it's not standing unaided?

And if concerned, would it be practical to take the lamb to the vet for a second look?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:31:40 pm »
do you think this could be watery mouth or joint ill. It seems to be getting worse and is very floppy. I fear we might lose it if I don't act. I do hold it to suckle but it doesn't drink for long. Am thinking of tubing it and giving it a jab of antibiotics. Suggestions?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 01:35:25 pm »
whats to lose?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 01:36:44 pm »
the more i read about it the more i suspect watery mouth, it had a difficult birth so is likely to have injested fluids. it has a bad leg so is likely to have had less colostrum, it was born at night so had less observation. I'm going to tube it, jab it and hope for the best. don't think that can do any harm

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 03:26:46 pm »
Maybe some painkillers?
I don't know what you would use for a tiny lamb though, I'd give the vet a tinkle and ask. Pain can cause little ones to give up :(
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

mandos1993

• Joined Mar 2012
  • downham market
  • shepherd in training
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 06:38:37 pm »
could be joint ill ?
Every man can tell how many sheep he poss but not how many friends

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 07:57:02 pm »
thought we were going to lose her earlier today, she was so floppy and unable to stand. Gave here antibiotics and kept going out and making sure she fed every hour or so. She's now much brighter, getting herself up and dragging the dodgy leg behind her. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 06:02:57 pm »
I have single ram lamb born this afternoon, he can't stand, due to his front legs being *tucked under* at the foot/knuckle part.  I managed to hold him on and he finally suckled.  She's a good mum and the birth was a dawdle, so I don't know what's going on.  Still waiting for vet to call back.  I wondered if it was Schmallenberg.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 06:58:55 pm »
I have single ram lamb born this afternoon, he can't stand, due to his front legs being *tucked under* at the foot/knuckle part.  I managed to hold him on and he finally suckled.  She's a good mum and the birth was a dawdle, so I don't know what's going on.  Still waiting for vet to call back.  I wondered if it was Schmallenberg.

he will have contracted tendons, a result of not much room inside. I have had one this year too, also in a goat kid last year. Unless they are actually walking on their knuckles anīd the skin gets raw/infected it will normally sort itself out. if the ewe is still inside, massage his legs and straighten them a few times, but if he is strong he should be ok in a couple of days.

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »
Thank you Anke.  I'll do that. Strangely, I did some massage earlier because I didn't know what else to do.   Bit scared about straightening the legs, but so long as I'm gentle all should be well?    Maybe my maternal instinct was right after all.....  Managed to get him suckling a few times too, so I'll keep up with the massage and let you know how he does.  He's a Wiltshire Horn, and normally I have no trouble with them at lambing time.

Cheers!   :wave:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 07:50:18 pm »
Magge i might be miles out, but my gut instinct would be to massage too, my son was born with talipes, his feet turned in, not permanent just the way he was bent inside me ( I'm small, he was big) I was told to massage baby oil into his feet, ie massaging into correct position, it soon righted itself. Good luck.
Shrekfeet newborns only feed small amounts, just very often, anu improvement since the antibiotics?

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 09:17:17 pm »
Thanks Dixie, another great tip... I'll use some oil too.  I've just got in and I could swear there was a wee improvement already.  I'm glad your little boy is ok.  My eldest was born with CDH(congenital dislocated hip) wasn't dreadful, but needed a splint for months, and he's all good now.    You guys are great, thanks again.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:39 pm »
Maggie,  I had a lamb like this last year, vet said contracted tendons, massage and splint.  I can pm you details if you wish.  Good luck, it is worth trying to correct the legs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS