Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with VERY watery eye  (Read 13484 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Lamb with VERY watery eye
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:54:48 pm »
This lamb isn't one of mine - two day old with very watery eye. Side of it's cheek very wet, eye not open properly, I don't know if it was born like it or if it is something that has come on. Eating ok.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: Lamb with VERY watery eye
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:04:43 pm »
Sounds like entropian, (Inturned eyelids) turn the lid outwards and pinch it hard til it swells up, you may have to do this a few times over a few days the lid will swell and then hopefully grow normally.
We inject ours with ultrapen a very thick antibiotic to swell them out but unless you have a lot of experience of injecting and are very confident i would try the other method first.
A bit of eye ointment will sooth the eye too

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:48:48 pm »
I'm a wuss and take mine to the vets for the ultrapen in the eyelid (cant stand injecting there as I dont have a steady hand - unless putting a needle on a record)

It does sound like entropian, does it have any 'whitening' of the eye?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 12:39:23 am »
Yes, sounds like entropion.  I find sluicing the eye with warm water several times a day helps, and yes I pinch the lid to make it swell just enough to stop the inversion.  If the eyelashes have scratched the cornea it may develop a white blind patch, but these usually heal in time.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:07:10 am »
Just on the offchance that's it's a multihorned breed, these can get split eyelids - Split Upper Eyelid Defect or SUED - which can present with a watery eye.  With a severe split a similar effect as entropian occurs with the eyelashes irritating the cornea.  In this case the vet can put in a suture to close the defect.  SUED can occur on a scale from a tiny nick in the eyelid to a big wide split, but is not common.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
Thanks everyone, I couldn't remember what the condition was called so couldn't find info on it.

Looks like poss problem with eyelashes, given it a bit of attention, not so watery this morning and looking more open.

What type of eye ointment please?

:sheep:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 11:03:17 pm »
Get some antibiotic ointment from vet.  Make sure you unroll the eyelid as mentioned before. If you have help and unroll then hold lid away and put some ointment in it sometimes keeps it out. Otherwise I get vet to inject with antibiotic and that solves problem.  Good luck. If you don't treat properly the eye gets damaged.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 10:58:18 am »
Just to update, eye is looking ok now. Thanks all for the guidence.

:farmer:  :sheep:

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 03:52:12 pm »
one of my lambs had this and although I constantly kept turning the lower eyelashes back it still kept turning. I took him for an injection at the vets today as he was begining to develop an ulcer on his eye. The injection was a penicillin & steriod and he also has cream to go home with, again a penicillin based product. The eye is now very swollen but the vet said this is what is supposed to happen as it stops the eye lashes from turning back in. Must admit I don't think I could have injected him it looked mighty uncomfortable but he is back with his mum now and seems bright enough. My vet told me that if not treated and if the ulcer gets very bad it can actually pop and the eye can be lost... hopefully mine was treated in time. Interestingly though it started to occur in both eyes but it only the one that has remailned turned in, the other stayed out once it had been turned  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS