Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Intro from Oz  (Read 6287 times)

Sharnoak

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Blampied, Victoria, Australia
Intro from Oz
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:15:11 pm »
Hi all,

I am an expat Brit living in Oz-my sentence so far has been 24 1/2 years (no, they don't do parole here!!) and after a spell living in the tropics I have moved back to Victoria (down south) and bought a 22 acre property in a rural area approx 1 1/2 hrs from Melbourne. The tribe of animals so far includes 3 miniature Highlands, 6 sheep (including one Finn ram), 2 suri alpacas, 2 cachmere goats and recently 2 black piglets. All a bit of a learning curve, so I shall no doubt pop into the forum regularly for advice!
Cheers,
Susie

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Intro from Oz
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:26:35 pm »
Wow, welcome Susie - you are a long way away from me in Central Scotland.  Look aboot ye on the members map and see if there's anyone else close.  Great selection of animals there, quite jealous, I used to have 22 acres too, but only have one since I moved down here - so only ducks and chickens now, apart from the dogs and cat.  What part of the UK did you originate from?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:43 pm »
Hi there  :)

Nice to not be the only newbie wearing L plates!
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

aliceinwonderland

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Victoria, Australia
  • one day, i will live in my very own wonderland
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:24 am »
Hi and welcome from a fellow Victorian!
Which direction out from Melbourne are you? I grew up in the Macedon ranges and am planning to move back as soon as I have enough money to buy a nice little farmhouse, but in the mean time I'm (almost) satisfying the need to move back and start a farm by reading all I can (including the Accidental Smallholder Forum!) and keeping an eye on the classifieds (and my bank account). If you ever need help on the farm just let me know - I'd love to get some more hands-on experience and it sounds like you have a lovely smallholding!
Once again, welcome to the forum and welcome back to Victoria!
Alice
planning to have: beef cattle, a house cow (or two), maybe some goats, definitely some hens and ducks, a lovely farm with rolling hills and a stream running through the back paddock, and a cottage covered with climbing roses and an old wood-fired stove.

Sharnoak

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:56:18 am »
Thanks for the welcome Annie,Anais and Alice! I'm originally from Herts in the UK- grew up almost on a farm (over the road), and have fond childhood memories of raising orphaned piglets-and they all survived!

Alice, I'm just outside of Daylesford in Blampied-surrounded by fields (or paddocks as they are called here!) and no traffic noise :) You are more than welcome to visit-I'm still feeling my way and there is a lot to do. There is quite a bit of woodland on the property, which is great but much of it is infested with broom-a really invasive PITA! Hoping that the piglets will do their bit to help clear it once they are bigger-they are only about 9 weeks old at the moment.
Forgot to mention the assorted chooks, guinea fowl and ducks-and how could I forget my 2 lovely Briards?!

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:13:35 am »
Welcome to the forum Susie, look forward to your postings  :wave: :wave:

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:26:45 am »
Hi from the Isle of Mull :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:09:55 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Are your miniature Highlands cattle or ponies?  :cow: :horse:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 02:11:47 pm »
Hi and welcome from Shropshire.  I have family in Oz (don'tmost of us?) two cousins in WA, round the Perth area, and one in NT.

Bangbang

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:05:34 pm »
Hi!  :wave:

Big welcome from sunny Aberdeenshire...!  :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:08:08 pm »
hi from cornwall :thumbsup:

Sharnoak

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:13:19 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Are your miniature Highlands cattle or ponies?  :cow: :horse:

Cattle,Rosemary. The cow is called Narla (she came with the name), her calf is Brooce (well Bruce really, but the long 'o' sound is mandatory isn't it?!) and the young steer is Wallace (which has become Wally Woo Moo)-the commital papers are on the kitchen table ::)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:17:42 pm »
Welcome,
the world's a big place and different things have different meanings ( I assume you are not named after the following)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sharn

;D

enjoy the forum!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:19:26 pm by Big Light »

Sharnoak

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 09:29:18 pm »
Welcome,
the world's a big place and different things have different meanings ( I assume you are not named after the following)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sharn

;D

enjoy the forum!

Excellent! I especially like the first one-since I am surrounded by it in many shapes and forms it is rather appropriate! Have also put an explanation of the name under 'what does your username mean' thread :)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 10:09:36 pm »
Cheers !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS