Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Noisy hen walking in circles  (Read 3422 times)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
Noisy hen walking in circles
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:04:53 am »
This morning, the sun is shining, so I sat down in the orchard and spent some time watching my hens. :thumbsup:

It is really funny watching them go in and out of the hen houses taking their turn to lay an egg.

What i did notice though was one hen walking around the outside of the hen house being very squarky and occasionally walking round and round in circles   :-\

After reading about someone on this forum that has written a book about hen behaviour traits, it has really made me wonder what on earth she was doing.

The cat (Keith) was around and about, so I was maybe wondering if she was a look out, or if she was telling the hens that a predator was nearby.  It was just the walking in cirlces that really puzzled me.

Have any of you seen this done by your hens.??

Thanks
Steph
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

Smalltime

Re: Noisy hen walking in circles
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:47:39 am »
Maybe she had a lot on her mind  ;D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:18:19 pm »
Waiting in the nest box queue!!!!!!!!!!

Do hurry up !!!!

:D  :D :D  :D

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:07:02 pm »
haha platting her legs   ;D  did'nt think of that.  xx
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:36:48 pm »
They seem to pace when they want to lay an egg then they often run to the nest place too, I posted an earlier item that made me laugh, I take my Labradors with me when I go to collect eggs and one of them pocked their nose into the nesting box and was chased away very aggressively by the hen, i laughed but then another Lab went to tell her off and got a peck on the nose, I got the labs out before any got hurt but they certainly can look after themselves, the funny bit was when she left the box I noticed her egg was very round, never had a round one before she obviously got it our sharpish!!!!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:11:27 am »
Waiting to lay but wants to go out and play as well. So drawn first to the nest box, then away from it whilst walking ends up a circle.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS