Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh no what next I thought !!  (Read 2747 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Oh no what next I thought !!
« on: March 17, 2012, 05:37:03 pm »
Last Saturday I lost a sow with a litter in her and earlier that week I had a sow not breathing well. Luckily she was just low on Selenium so jabbed her and she is fine.
This morning on the feeding round I fed my young boar but the gilt who was in with him didnt show, looked in the ark and she was looking very sorry for herself, managed to get her up and had a bit to eat but went straight back to the ark and snuggled into the straw. This gilt I bought to show this year and she has been in with the boar about 3 weeks so she would be well pregnant to show. By now Im thinking allsorts and thinking I have a big problem within my herd.
Went to check on her a few hours later and she is cuddled up to the boar in the ark and inbetween them is a litter of 8 piglets :o :o :o :o
I'm standing there thinking he's a nice boar but not that good, i then remembered when I had first got her the only pen I could put her in was with some meat pigs going to slaughter in a weeks time one of which was a boar so he had a good last week.
My expensive show gilt is now unable to be shown this year so I think I will put it off until next year and try again and by then I should have something of my own to show as well. :wave:

Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Oh no what next I thought !!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:54:34 pm »
Oh Lordy Lord!! That must have been a shock!! wow!

The best laid plans and all that.... :yum: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:55:17 pm »
every cloud has a silver lining :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:06:55 am »
Mum and babies and "dad" doing OK?

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:46:18 am »
What a gorgeous, happy story!   Was the real dad, now departed, a good pairing for your sow, ie. unrelated, correct breed etc.?    You must be thrilled - Tamsaddle

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:37:20 pm »
My expensive show gilt is now unable to be shown this year so I think I will put it off until next year and try again and by then I should have something of my own to show as well. :wave:
You could always show her in the sow class  ;)
Great story BB, congratulations  :thumbsup:

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:33:35 pm »
Lovely  :)
And how nice to hear of such a modern boar who wants to be present at the birth of his (admittedly adopted) kids, too!
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS