Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lucky our little pig  (Read 4879 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Lucky our little pig
« on: March 14, 2012, 11:30:36 pm »
As some of you will know, Little Blue hand reared Lucky, and her sister Mogwai, and she has to be congratulated on the brilliant job she did with them!!

Mogwai has come on really well, and is enormous.  We knew Lucky would never be big, as she was miles smaller than her sister......BUT ...I though she would grow a bit a least.  If you imagine one of those micro pigs, you will getr an idea of how small she is.  She eats well enough, as I watch to make sure Mogwai does not push her out. and she toddles around behind the other pig; 

The only positive things are that she has grown hair now, and she has stopped scratching, which she was doing constantly.

It really looks like Lucky is going to stay miniature sized forever :D

I have to be honest, and say, that a few times I expected to go in the morning and find her dead because she looked so frail, but she is obviously made of sterner stuff!!

One question - how much wormer shall I give her.  Obviously a lot less than Mogwai as she is about 4 times bigger.

When the pigs run off down the field, I can quite easily pick Lucky up to carry her back.  Certainly could not carry Mogwai anywhere!!!!

HappyHippy

Re: Lucky our little pig
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:42:42 am »
If she's really tiny (and it sounds like she is) then 1ml of noromectin would probably be about right - it does up to 30Kg. Weigh her to see exactly how heavy she is and go from there Roxy.

Have you got any photo's ?  ;)
Karen x

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:35:51 am »
Thank you HappyHippy!!  Yes, got pics of all the pigs, but on this new laptop, so may be a day or two until I can remember passwords etc. 

People think Lucky is a little piglet, so I just smile and say yes, as they ignorant about the size of pigs.  Probably think Mogwai is her mother!!!! 

With her being so small I am terrified of overdosing her with wormer or anything else for that matter.  I can imagine that some of your piglets are bigger than her. :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:13:30 pm »
I remember the two of them (and sending reiki to them  ;)) but had hoped she'd grow - just a bit  :D
Plus I'm just nosey and like to see how they get on  ;)
You're right to be cautious with her being little :thumbsup:
Karen x

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:09:29 pm »
I suppose, in a way, its amazing that Lucky survived at all, given the size she was as birth.  She has weight on her, its just....well, her height.  She makes me smile though, when she goes walkabouts, and I follow the excited oinks and find her jumping up and down on the cats beds, much to their horror :D  Maybe brings back memories of living in Little Blue's house!! 

Somehow I think she will be a pet ....not a breeding sow.  I was going to say at least that size she will not eat much, but not so sure that is true.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:45 pm »
aw, tears in my eyes hearing about the little rascals!
I miss them...  but I love that they live with you & are obviously spoilt rotten (sorry) well looked after!

Can't wait to see pictures of them
Give them our love, and a "Pig pig pig!" shout!

Not sure the cats miss them ... though looking at the colour of Alfie, he's been having lessons in rooting & truffling from Murdoch the boar!  ::)  ;D

oh, and nice to "see" you again
 :wave:
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:54:25 pm »
Who is Murdoch??  Is he one of your youngsters, or have you got a new boar?!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 07:21:32 pm »
He's the "new" boar  - Murphy's replacement.
We just have him & the 2 mums, he's a bit short to "do the business" but give him time...  :D
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 11:05:27 pm »
Murdoch cannot be as short as Lucky - I think she may qualify for the worlds smallest Kune Kune ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 03:51:35 pm »
I think hes probably abit bigger, I'll try and put a photo on to show you later. (only came in cos its raining, we hadn't eaten & I'm waiting for news on Plumseverywhere's goat kidding!  Back outside in a minute...)
Little Blue

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 06:36:37 pm »
Photo of Murdoch & Maud (the smaller of the two girls)
Not very flattering or well posed... but thats pigs for you!

Little Blue

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 06:40:04 pm »
and his lovely (Muddy!) face  :D

Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS