Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what size freezer  (Read 6937 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
what size freezer
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:02:04 pm »
i origanaly got 4 kune piglets... at about 5 months old someone gave me 3 more castrated kunes age 5 months, as free couldnt refuse them. now i have 7 nearly ready for slaughter ranging from currently 50 - 65 klo live weight at 9 months old...my question is my son is having 2 so how much meat will i expect off the other 5 as i think i need another freezer..... or possibly keep the castrated a bit longer,,,anyone kept kunes 15 months etc and was it worth  keeping them longer

robert waddell

Re: what size freezer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 12:40:11 pm »
the kunnie breeders will endorse that kunnies are the best in every way possible
the non kunnie breeders will disagree    your usable end product will be at least half the liveweight and depends on if you keep all the bones skin trotters and head then it is nearer 70% of the liveweight
keeping pigs to 15 months old is up to the individual you could have 3 sets of traditional weaners in that same timescale and possibly double the volume of meat and not so much lard :farmer:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:13:47 pm »
We had a new freezer to accomodate 2 pigs.  About 200 Kg live weight, (gustimate)(6 month sddlebacks) which resulted in 130Kg meat inc sausages.  The freezer was just over 10CuM and is full to the brim!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:51:01 pm »
I sent a Kunekune gilt at 11months (have no exact figure for liveweight  :-[ but she would have been around 60Kg) The deadweight was 38Kg and we got 33Kg of cuts & sausages.
So going on those figures - you're going to have around 150Kg of pork to find space for  :o unless you're current freezer is huge and roomy, I'd maybe look out for another  ;) :thumbsup:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:59:10 pm »
yes hh already looking.... to take the pork and the poultry only...... got and old tall one to hang geese etc in but may make that into a tall smoker.

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 03:31:22 pm »
we comfortably fit 2 6mth pigs (about 50 kg each in 4 cardboard trays) into our chest freezer, with space for the heads etc.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:37:14 am »
so i can expect about 150 klos of meat....... my next question is... if it takes 2 men 3 days to dig a hole how long will it take 2 people on a healthy diet to eat 150 klos of bacon, burgers and good cuts mmmmmmm i love ribs, the answer will help me decide what any new piglets will be. ie takes 6-9 months to eat = tamworths etc... takes 12 months plus to eat its Kunes again

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:00:32 am »
a good year.

depends whether u buy other meat like beef etc.

my family (we have 4 kids and 2 dogs) ate 120 kilo in 6 mths but we dont buy any meat unless we raise it, so it was just pork and the occasional turkey. we r sturdy...lol   ;D ;D ;D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:10:52 am »
lol.  The healthy diet.  We have been on a pork fest the last week and I think I may have to slow down re the healthy diet!  Yesterday was Bacon and eggs for breakfast, Sausage and beans cowboy style (cooked on the brash fire in the field and eaten out of the pan!) and tea was ham based!  All tasty, but 3 pig based meals in one day was TOOOO much!  And it doesnt look like we are making much of a dint in the freezer!

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:55:48 pm »
a good year.

depends whether u buy other meat like beef etc.

my family (we have 4 kids and 2 dogs) ate 120 kilo in 6 mths but we dont buy any meat unless we raise it, so it was just pork and the occasional turkey. we r sturdy...lol   ;D ;D ;D
We kill our own beef and our own pigs and trade with a neighbour for a lamb or a hogget.

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:44:14 pm »
We kill our own beef and our own pigs and trade with a neighbour for a lamb or a hogget.
[/quote]

we are getting a texel lamb this year in trade but our beef is a couple of yrs off yet as its not even born yet!
 :D

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 03:28:45 pm »
it is amazing how quick you will get through it     if you are serving samples it will take ages but if if you are dealing in proper portions not that long
just how do you evaluate pork to trade for beef  lamb or whatever  i went on an upmarket meat supplier web site and quite frankly i would be starving if i bought from them
beef dripping £3 .90 a kilo
oxtails at £8.15 a kilo to AA fillet steak at £41.95 a kilo
pork fillet at £13.95 a kilo and pork mince at £5.25 a kilo poultry was even dearer than the pork and fish also was dearer :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 03:59:31 pm »

just how do you evaluate pork to trade for beef  lamb or whatever

if we do - i expect we will swop 2 weaners for a finished live lamb + the difference in cash.  any less then its not worth it as i dont have any surplus weaners.

swopping pork for grass-fed meat is more difficult for me cos the pigs are so expensive to get to finishing. im not desperate enough for meat for to work it out.  :D ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS