Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spring Tine Harrows / Budget Flail Topper  (Read 8804 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Spring Tine Harrows / Budget Flail Topper
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:52:16 am »
I have convinced myself that these harrows are the beeze knees and if I can get one, an einbock one especially. (of course I've probably been reading too many farmer 'boys toys' forums :-[.

As its double the price of a framed chain harrow am I mad?  Seem to tick all the boxes for grass growth without fertilizer, flattening mole hills and dispersing manure/poo (offsetting the cost of a poo picker, you can see I am rehearsing the conversation with my husband...).

Of course if I did this something has to go, so now looking at a budget flail topper but know idea on what a good budget make is. Whilst usual cost is c2k, I have seen a few for £1k. Its not going to get a lot of hard work (15 acres, 3x year), smoothish fields. I decided on a flail as it reduces the risk of the odd stone damage and chopping up/mulching grass will allow it to decomposed better. Not really looking for gorse/loads of rushes.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

robert waddell

Re: Spring Tine Harrows / Budget Flail Topper
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:40:53 am »
they are two completely different machines and serve different purposes     chain harrows are every bit as good as the modern spring tine harrow and a lot cheaper if money is a consideration     toppers are the same you can get a good one for £500 but depends on the size of tractor you have :farmer:

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:08:33 pm »
I would disagree regarding chain harrows being as good as spring tine harrows - the spring tines are far more effective at removing moss etc from the sward and encouraging growth. As for buying - I would suggest that your best / most cost effective answer would be to offer some cash to the local farmers son to bring his set over on his tractor and do the job for you. Contractors round here charging £15/acre for two passes and sowing grass seed - offer £20/acre to allow for nuisance factor for small fields/acreages.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:00:02 am »
Most 'cheaper' flail toppers are made in China and some have gearboxes/driveshafts made of chocolate. i,e. they won't stand up to a lot of work over time. Many of the branded names Twose, Bomfords etc are, I believe, rebadged Ino's made in Slovenia. Ino's are imported by

http://willowfarm-machinery.co.uk/farm-machinery/ino-farm-machinery.html

If you can find a good used one it may be worth considering

http://www.rvwpugh.co.uk/used-335-Used-INO-15m-HD-flail-topper.html

I use a flail because it 'balances' on the tractor better on my steep land and can chop up rushes and bracken etc much better. However, if it is just for regular pasture topping a cheaper rotary topper will do the job and use less fuel.

I can't see that the cost of an Einbock is justified for harrowing pasture. All you need is some decent chain harrows.

If you want something cheap and chearful in the tine department this guy in Port Talbot near me fabricates these

http://agri-fabs.co.uk/products/40427--2-bar-spring-tine-harrow.aspx

and also sells on that well known auction site. I can't comment on quality as I haven't seen one but I bought a tractor hitch/A frame off him that was well constructed.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:24:37 am by henchard »

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:37:58 am »
I would agree with veryoldploughman about tined harrows being far superior to chain harrows due to the tines being far more agressive.
The only benefit that a chain harrow has over a tined harrow is that they are better at levelling molehills.

Don't know if you are interested but I've a 2 metre Ferri flail topper that I would like to sell.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:46:01 am »
Thanks all.

Decisions, decisions. I will stick with a tined harrow I think. The Einbock is about 50% more than a good quality (heavy weight) framed harrow anyway (although not comparing like for like on size).  Logic also do a wheeled one for quads which uses einboc tines which is a bit cheaper again.  Also hoping I can use the harrow in the sand arena to justify the extra cost.

I have decided to put off topper purchase for a year and see if I really need it, but keep an eye out for a 2nd hand quality flail in meantime. Unfortunately, I don't think my compact tractor could cope with a 2m flail - which is the problem that second hand stuff locally is for the big boys not us smallholding minnows.

Interesting re who imports what. apart from fleming is any other brand actually UK built then?
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:11 pm »
I would agree with veryoldploughman about tined harrows being far superior to chain harrows due to the tines being far more agressive.
The only benefit that a chain harrow has over a tined harrow is that they are better at levelling molehills.

Don't know if you are interested but I've a 2 metre Ferri flail topper that I would like to sell.
Not so much of the very  ;D !

Its a bit more sedate on here Si otherwise I might have fired a broadside  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS