Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what wildlife have you found  (Read 9162 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: what wildlife have you found
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 06:40:12 am »
I take the point about otters but I'd still love to see some  :)
i just wish the fields would dry out quicker. gots loads of ....work.....to get done by someone this summer. its spring but i keep expecting the march snow
yes, ditto.

I want to know where is OhLaLa too, that's an amazing list - from that name maybe France?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:38 am »
Off the top of my head; various Deer, various Owls, Pine Martens, Stoats, Weasels, Foxes, Storks, Cranes, Gulls, Woodpeckers, Geese, Boar, Badgers, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards.

..........how could I forget, one of my favourite habitants here. Bats.

Love them.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »
What with the bats and owls it sounds like you are not diurnal . But you still don't say where you live to see so much.
We see very few animals given how rural it is here in La Creuse ( France) but footprints in the snow covered fields gave away just how much pass us by.
We plan to drive into the Dordogne soon to spot the vultures ( a small group of them live off the river cliffs there).
martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 01:45:21 pm »
Besides our location, I think we have so much here because of the way we work the land. We are lucky enough to have a fair bit, and we don't grow crops so the fields are ideal for wildlife. When we make hay we don't go right to the edge of the field, and we are very careful about spraying. The hay meadows are hedged, not fenced, so the deer come and go as they please. And we don't have our animals grazing the fields between cuts so there are plenty of wildflowers in the grass and in the hedgerows (and in due course, seedheads). There are also no rights of way so the fields are largely undisturbed. We also have a very large freshwater pond for wildlife to drink from, and a good sized mature orchard. Plenty of forage here, and all it attracts.

The Bats live in the roof space of one of our outbuildings, the Barn Owls have their young in our barn, and I'll often see her sleeping up on a high beam during the day. It's not unusual to wake up and see Tawny Owl sitting outside my windowsill of a night looking in (or most likely checking out it's own reflection). And last night Barn Owl flew past my bedroom window screeching, and later, past me when I was outside doing the 4am lamb feed (I also saw the darned fox in our adjacent field.... )

A couple of Doves have just hatched their young in our horse barn too.

When it has snowed I often take the youngsters out looking at prints, and right now it's soft mud so there are prints aplenty (stoat prints mostly).

And of course don't forget the 'Who did that poo?' game. Or the 'What did Barn Owl eat last night' investigation (from the previous nights batch of pellets which are regularly regurgitated onto the barn floor).

Fabulous for the kids to have such an opportunity to grow up with all this nature and knowledge.

:farmer:  :wave:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 03:54:42 pm »
Wonderfull - the children Will never forget! My grown up daughter often recalls childhood events relating to wildlife we saw together.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 10:25:47 pm »
Used to have golden eagles flying above my house in Scotland

Smalltime

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 01:11:28 pm »
That is lovely MGoM, you are lucky. I have always wanted to see one, its one of the reasons we plan to visit Scotland. That and the salmon fishing ofcourse, something I want to try one day...

Mel

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 02:16:56 pm »
A Buzzard in the bottom tree,smooth newts,toads and frogs all hidden under soggy wood piles!A Two spotted ladybird and the largest Bumble bee I have ever seen. ;D In the hedgerow at first light were two muncjacks which often jump over the fence into the Pig area foraging,I must take some pictures of them as they are gorgeous!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 02:30:25 pm »
We to have small bats, badgers all over the place. Fox has a daily walk through one of our fields. Roe Deer that often give birth in the ruff ground at the back of our place. The usual hawks and buzzards. Over winter we get swans and geese, Spring Lapwings and lots of  birds nest around the place. Swallows take over the buildings and we often find young frogs hidden among the grass. We used to have Skylarks but not seen them for a few years now. I hear an owl most nights but its not living with us. ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 09:37:36 pm »
The curlews were back yesterday  ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 10:50:38 pm »
That is lovely MGoM, you are lucky. I have always wanted to see one, its one of the reasons we plan to visit Scotland. That and the salmon fishing ofcourse, something I want to try one day...

One year we saw three which was really exciting.  The pair nested on the hill near us.  It's a very steep-faced, craggy hill and one day two men decided to climb it.  Half way up they were startled by a half lamb plummeting down.  They had got too near the nest and were being warned off.  It worked!  ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS