Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what wildlife have you found  (Read 9164 times)

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
what wildlife have you found
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:14:51 pm »
the children have been very busy this weekend. they found an injured long eared owl. whilst walking the dogs they met an otter on the road. trying to convice the dogs that being friendly with an adult otter is not a good idea for there noses.

Smalltime

Re: what wildlife have you found
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:21:58 pm »
I found a badgers set near the house just up the hill where the woods start. The neighbours have been here a long time and have had a look and its definately a badger set and must be a fairly new one. No livestock up here as its now a wildlife area.  :thumbsup:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:37:06 pm »
Well not found but we are under the flight path of low flying migrating cranes ( gru gru). Quite a sight as the chevrons fly towards us and sometimes circle to wait for other groups. Noisy buggers too - even at 03:00 when those slogging it out from Africa fly over.
I read that they take the same route thru a 20 km corridor thru the Limousin. I reckon they use our chimney as a reference point !!
Spectacular!
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:57:57 pm »
Lots of worms in my manure heaps.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:11:22 am »
Last week OH left the back door of his van open, literally about 10ft from the house door, there was a large owl (think it was 'small short eared' owl) just sat on the door top, OH was stood at the house door and I stopped in my tracks coming back from the barn, just a little further away, eventually it silently flapped it's wings and swooped off, amazing.

knew small didn't sound right  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:18:50 pm by penninehillbilly »

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 06:00:49 am »
Well not found but we are under the flight path of low flying migrating cranes ( gru gru).

Cranes - I envy you! I remember them well from my childhood, flying over... :-\ Would love to see that again.

On my way to work, I often see a small group of 4 roe deer that graze around the building. And the woodpecker has been very busy in the car park again! As one of my colleagues said, it's one of the few good points about working there...

Apart from that, I also have loads of worms. Nice, big, fat ones. Even without manure.  ;D

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:46:43 am »
There have been reports of a number of long eared owls around here Paul, one man had four at once in his trees. A lady who lives by the marina has had an otter go to her ponds everyday and they have eaten all the spawning frogs.  The otters sit on the pontoons during the day down there! I personally dont want otters too close as they take the poultry but we have them washing themselves in the burn when they come out of the sea. They are our equivelent of foxes for folk that dont have them!  I had to bring all my ducks up from their free range , burn flowing life to a paddock by the house away from them. The frog ponds on the moor are filling up with spawn now , the Summer birds are all returning , we have teal looking like  nesting by a waterfall and more snipe than I can count in the irises. This is the best time of year for me as everything is coming back to life with the whole summer ahead.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:00:18 am »
we see roe deer most days driving into stirling

we have a sparrowhawk that likes to visit the garden

obviously buzzards are everywhere around here

other than that fecking seagulls perched on the lampposts shitting everywhere waiting to steal the catfood my neighbour scatters on his lawn (we're not sure if its for his cats or to encourage the seagulls, he's very odd)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:07:34 am »
I was quite excited to see a red kite over our fields last week. I hadn't realised they had made it so far east.

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 12:31:42 pm »
a while back, our cat pulled down a birds nest which left us with starlings to handraise until i convinced the sspca to come and get them.  i cannot stand worms but they scoffed the lot and we kept them warm in the incy. no idea wot happened after they were collected tho. here sspca was here and gone in less than a minute, and we never heard from them again.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:49:51 pm »
There have been reports of a number of long eared owls around here Paul, one man had four at once in his trees. A lady who lives by the marina has had an otter go to her ponds everyday and they have eaten all the spawning frogs.  The otters sit on the pontoons during the day down there! I personally dont want otters too close as they take the poultry but we have them washing themselves in the burn when they come out of the sea. They are our equivelent of foxes for folk that dont have them!  I had to bring all my ducks up from their free range , burn flowing life to a paddock by the house away from them. The frog ponds on the moor are filling up with spawn now , the Summer birds are all returning , we have teal looking like  nesting by a waterfall and more snipe than I can count in the irises. This is the best time of year for me as everything is coming back to life with the whole summer ahead.
it was a bit of a surprise seeing the owl. it was a gorous creature pity it was to ill and went to the sspca. the inspector was fast for a sunday afternoon. i know otters are preditors and will eat our birds if we are not careful but i still love to see them. i took a while to explain to the boys that otters do move away from water. i dred the idea of them bringing one of those home.

yes you can feel spring in the air. the sheep are ignoring there feed so the grass must be growing. i just wish the fields would dry out quicker. gots loads of ditching and fencing to get done by someone this summer. its spring but i keep expecting the march snow

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 01:00:11 pm »
Off the top of my head; various Deer, various Owls, Pine Martens, Stoats, Weasels, Foxes, Storks, Cranes, Gulls, Woodpeckers, Geese, Boar, Badgers, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 05:03:25 pm »
wow thats a lot- off the top of your head too. So where do you live OhLaLa ?
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:07:18 pm »
at a guess central london

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:46 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS