Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new sheep keeper in Suffolk  (Read 3453 times)

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
new sheep keeper in Suffolk
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:41:51 am »
Hi,
Just a quick note to introduce myself. Having grown up on a small farm in Suffolk with sheep and cattle (too many years ago to remember!) I have for many years longed to get involved again. we moved back to Suffolk from London a few years ago and a couple of years ago I was lucky enough to find someone who keeps a few ewes who was getting on and needing some help. This has led to me this year taken on 4 of last years ewe lambs and keeping them on some land at my in laws farm. I have only 4 of my own now, 2 of which will be going of to the butcher next month and 2 I will keep back for putting to the tup this year. One is a southdown and the other a southdown X. I am lucky enough to be helping out with my friends sheep still (35 mixed southdown & Hampshire ewes and 2 southdown tups) which means apart from lots of good advice I get to have all the meds i need without buying huge bottles! I have about 2.5 acres of grass to run my 2 on which should do them well even when they have lambed next year. I am moving them about in smaller areas behind electric nets to make sure I rotate the grazing well. They were wormed & hep'd before they came over and get a good dose of garlic & molasses each month, which along with clearing their mess up after them each week I hope will keep the worm burden down without the need for lots of drenches.

Thinking ahead though I don't want to use my friends tups if possible as although all lambs will be going in the freezer the blood line is too close to the 2 ewes I will be keeping. Is there anyone in Suffolk with a tup I could use? The Hampshire cross is a good size and the southdown a little smaller, what would be a good breed of Tup to try and use? I don't want anything too large, especially for their first lambing.

The other thing is I would like to shear them myself, I am OK with dagging but wonder if trying to do a complete shear would be too much?

anyway just to say hello and would welcome knowing of any other members on here keeping sheep in Suffolk , especially in the Bury St Edmund's area.

so, hello!

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: new sheep keeper in Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:10:29 am »
Hi Wallyward :wave:We are Norfolk but not far away in Diss. About 40 mins.

Good luck with your project.

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:20:04 am »
Hi

thanks for the welcome, you are probally nearer than you think as the sheep are over by Stanton! What breed do you keep?

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:40:29 am »

Hi wallyward   :wave:
Tilly- (Norfolk)

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:14:43 pm »
We are about 10 miles or so north from Stanton, not far really. We have some Heinz 57s for the freezer :yum: and pedigree Zwartbles.

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 05:49:10 pm »
Hi from Suffolk - we have a spare tup but wrong breed I'm afraid.
Rose

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:56:48 am »
Rose

Hi fellow sheepkeeper from suffolk! what breed do you keep?

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 06:37:26 pm »
Hi we have Hebrideans - hoping 12 are in lamb due beginning of April
Rose
ps we are Saxmundham way

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 08:49:48 pm »
Hi from Lawshall

Sorry can't help you with a tup, we only raise a few bottle feds each year. But welcome anyway fellow suffolk smallholder.

Louise
So many ideas, not enough hours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS