Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it safe  (Read 2172 times)

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
Is it safe
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:21:04 am »
to put 3 tups in with a mixed flock of in lamb ewes and last years ewe lambs now.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Is it safe
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:17:19 am »
I would say no.  There will be a whole lot of pushing and shoving while the dominance issues get sorted out which could put the pregnancies at risk, and they may still tup the ewe hoggs.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:57:31 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:32:25 am »
I put my tup and wether in with the ewes carrying singles a few weeks ago. There was a bit of fun (mostly the wether, who was completely over excited at being out "in company") for about half an hour, then they pretty much settled down.

However, I did buy another trough to make sure there was loads of space at feeding time and a 10ft covered hay rack (for nine sheep) and there's no pushing and shoving there either.

Not sure about a group of tups and I'm not brave enough to put him in with the ewe hoggs, who are in with the twin bearing ewes.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 06:53:18 pm »
My ewe hoggs are behaving disgracefully through the fence to the tup so there's no way he's getting any closer!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS