Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sexing geese  (Read 1611 times)

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
sexing geese
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:49:46 am »
My geese are fighting a lot and this is because I can not tell a male from a female, by the time I get to them they have broken off the fight and mixed with the flock again, i dont want to kill the wrong ones as they are laying well at the moment, just want to reduce the fighting and the noise for the neighbours,  they are Toulous, I also bought two embden geese and both were supposidly females but one isnt!

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: sexing geese
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:04:43 am »
Hi

I had the very same nightmare last year with my young geese.  Mine are now coming up a year old and it is now quite easy to tell which are the geese vs ganders.

I have Embdens and I have two girls to one gander.

The geese are MUCH quieter than the gander, they busy themselves eating grass and mooching around.  But the gander is very vocal, lots of screeching, extending his neck and trying to look fierce and terrortorial.

He is also quite alot taller and longer necked than the girls and his head is bigger.

I tried vent sexing too, which is quite easy but abit messy.  Tip the goose upside down, head behind you as you straddle it and gently prise the vent open, if it is a gander then it will have a little spike/boy part sticking out and obviousley the girls won't.

Hope this helps.  You will definately have to cull/sell your extra ganders as they will argue all the time.

xx
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS