Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good news and Bad  (Read 9794 times)

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
Good news and Bad
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:55:45 am »
Good news and bad.
Have been lucky up until now with some very nice lambs.
Yesterday one of our best ewes went into labour and then stopped pushing with no lamb visible. Got the vet out who then struggled for an hour with a giant dead lamb bent double with feet facing forward. Impossible to turn around until two legs broke off. It the took two of us to pull the rest out.
Poor ewe will quite likely die of peritonitis as she has a tear to the uterus. Antibiotics of course but they can only do so much.
Four still to go so fingers crossed !

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Re: Good news and Bad
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 12:03:46 pm »
  :'( I'd give a hug but can't find the smiley thing.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »
Sorry read your news. Bless her.

Hope all goes well with the four.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:19:34 pm »
So sorry to hear about your ewe, I hope she manages to pull through.
Why oh why is it always our best or favourite ewes that come a cropper...
Hugs from me too. I hope the rest of lambing goes smoothly. x

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:35:51 pm »
Sounds awful, so sorry  :(.  Hope the ewe manages to repair herself, poor thing  :-\

Best of luck with the rest ..
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:09:37 pm »
 :( :bouquet: Hope the ewe is OK - where there's life etc etc.

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:50:44 pm »

Hi Zwartbles,
I hope your ewe will  recover :hshoe: :sheep: , heartbreaking when that sort of thing happens :bouquet:

I like the good news though  :thumbsup:  your little -uns look so sweet  :love:

Tilly :wave:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 02:10:09 pm »
So sorry this is a horrible thing to deal with :bouquet: good luck

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:52:45 am »
The only solution is to go and visit the lambs - especially at stomping time which is around 5.30 -6.00 pm here at the moment.  Thinking of you.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 10:58:34 am »
If you already had the vet out - would a C-section not have been easier on the ewe? Even if she then would be a non-breeder, her cast value should have made up for it. If she dies on your holding you will have nothing... except the vet's bill.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:21:10 pm »
zwartbles, so sorry to hear about your ewe  :bouquet: 

If you already had the vet out - would a C-section not have been easier on the ewe? Even if she then would be a non-breeder, her cast value should have made up for it. If she dies on your holding you will have nothing... except the vet's bill.
I wondered the same, then thought our vets are usually very reticent to to a c-section when it's dead lambs, saying that you usually can't keep the wound clean and will end up with a very sick ewe who will die in any case, so I don't know if that's what they thought here.  But yes, if the uterus was going to tear you would have thought a c-section would perhaps have been the best of the available options.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 05:33:54 pm »
How is the ewe today Zwartbles?

I have everything crosed for you and her its so very distressing when things like this happen ((hug))

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »
[I have everything crosed for you and her its so very distressing when things like this happen ((hug))
[]
And from me.  Rotten luck. :(

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 06:26:17 pm »
will be keeping my fingers crossed for your ewe, so sorry to hear about the lamb

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 07:01:21 pm »
Thank you all for your good wishes. The ewe is up and walking and grazing, which is good. The outcome won't be clear for a few days when we will find out if any infection has occured.
A section wasn't a feasible option in a dark muddy field shelter on a ewe who had been fighting for three hours and was very weak. The primary concern was trying to get the lamb out before the ewe died of shock or exhaustion, the tear not being inevitable, just a side effect of fused limbs etc.
In a perfect world ,with hindsight a lot of our decisions might be different!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS