Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thirteen dead chickens  (Read 13336 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Thirteen dead chickens
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 08:46:47 pm »
ime not so sure you cannot shot a livestock worrying dog... you can for sheep etc.... ime not ashamed to say i have a shotgun and i would blow the brains out of any egg stealing crow, chick stealing magpie or rat which i have done, and any livestock killing fox or dog..... harry

sandy

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 08:57:15 pm »
It's funny how we could shoot one anima but not another!!!!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 09:01:29 pm »
but i think you can if its a livestock killer..... i would .... i belong to an organisation thats give free legal advise i will ask them next week.. harry

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 10:26:20 pm »
You can take any action deemed nessesary to prevent the dog from damaging/continuing to damage your stock. ANY stock. I stand by my previous post IF the owners wont take responsibility for their animal you are perfectly within your rights to protect your animals. Warn them that if you see it about to attack your stock you will take the appropriate action. You may be able to train the dog not to worry stock, (though personally I doubt it )you will never get the owners who cant be bothered now to make the effort to train it in the future.

If you have a gun even an air rifle take to patrolling your fields with it under your arm. They may take you seriously and improve their fencing. Its worth trying a bluff. ;)

sandy

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 11:24:22 pm »
Like I said in another post, I love all animals and understand it is the owners responsibility BUT, I know so many people that are not at all bothered by the law, the basical do not care as most times they will be let off, the only way is to put up a warning sign andkeep to it, your animals are just as preciouse as the dog that killed them!!!! We do not tae our new dog to the nearest field as the owner would shoot to kill if he saw him even off the path yet alone worrying his sheep, it works. I am a firm beliver of keeping to my word and do not make idol threats, post a warning on your fence!!!!! and hope that it does not happen again as Iwould hate to be the one with the gun!!!!

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 07:57:31 am »
Rosemary,  How awful to hear your terrible news.  :'(  The CCTV option does sound like a good idea as my worry would be that now the dog knows where to get some easy 'meat' he will definitely be back for more.   At least if the dog returns it would caught in the act and you will have some evidence against it. Waiting around for next time would be a constant worry especially now you have your little lambs to worry about as well. Just a thought, can the Dog Warden do more than the Police to help in the mean time?
I wish you luck with what ever you decide to do and I will keep my fingers crossed we can help top up your bird numbers when our broody hen hatches some of your eggs in a couple of weeks!  x x   Gill

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 01:13:49 pm »
Unfortunately the Dog Warden has even less teeth that the Police.  However, a bill for  the chickens re-inforced by a small claims threat might make them take notice.  Small claims can be done over the internet.

I still disagree that the dog can be shot for killing chickens.  It is natural for a dog to go after birds but not to go after sheep - they are classed differently.  Chickens are not strictly speaking 'stock'. In any case, why should the dog suffer for the bad manners and irresponsibility of its owners?  Far better to retrain and re-home.

It sounds horrible, but I have heard that a good way is to tie a dead chicken around the dog's neck [well out of its reach of course] for a day or two.  Don't know if it would work or not or whether you could position the chicken so the dog couldn't reach it - maybe a muzzle on the dog would work.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 04:26:47 pm »
A friend of mine tried that, the dog (a springer spaniel) ate the chicken.  I dont know how you could effectively tie the chicken to the dog without the dog getting it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 05:03:12 pm »
A greyhound muzzle would work
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2009, 07:21:17 pm »
I still disagree that the dog can be shot for killing chickens.  It is natural for a dog to go after birds but not to go after sheep - they are classed differently.  Chickens are not strictly speaking 'stock'. In any case, why should the dog suffer for the bad manners and irresponsibility of its owners?  Far better to retrain and re-home.

Dogs are decendants of wolves. The sheepdogs herding instinct is a controlled form of hunting. Of course its natural for dogs to go after sheep.

Gamekeepers are allowed to shoot dogs after their "stock" whats the difference between a pheasant and a chicken??

I agree that the dog shouldnt suffer and the owners are at fault but if the owners wont  take responsibility and they wont give the dog up(it is their dog) then an out of control animal must be controlled and if as a last resort  it has to be shot so be it.

Why should this ladies stock be stressed any more and her livelhood be put at risk.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2009, 10:37:42 pm »
Well,I think we'll leave Rosemary and Dan to decide on that one, will we?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS