Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thirteen dead chickens  (Read 13337 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Thirteen dead chickens
« on: March 31, 2009, 08:53:28 pm »
We had thirteen chickens killed today, between 9am and 12 - seven Hubbards, five Black Rocks and one Light Sussex. We know who the culprit is but can't prove it - the evidence is circumstantial. Unless the owners of the dog responsible come clean, we (and the police) are stuck, and I doubt if they will.

Last time we actually caught him chasing the hens, and were assured that he would not be allowed out loose again - until then, he was allowed to "free-range". Today, he slipped his chain. And we have thirteen fewer birds than we had yesterday.

I wouldn't have minded the fox as much.

Fortunately, my cream crested legbars were shut in their ark and our new lamb was shut in a small pen with him mum otherwise they would have got it too. The Hubbards were in a run that was demolished. Only three of our 10 survived and one of those is injured.

I don't really want the dog destroyed but if that's the only sure way of stopping this happening again, then that would be my choice. I suppose I just have to put it behind me because nothing will happen, but it's very sad and very frustrating nonetheless.

flipflopper

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Where my kids need to be
Re: Thirteen dead chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 09:09:04 pm »
This is terrible.

What a waste and heart renching no doubt.

Sorry but you must get the dog destroyed. It may well cause further problems but its the only option if you have already given them a chance. Good luck.

You have one person on your side if you have to do what you dont really want to.

flipflopper

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:12:10 pm »
thats really terrible. we really feel for you. I would have to say something to the owner of the dog but I can see your situation, but it could be worse next time.

sandy

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:24:38 pm »
I am always amazed at how lax-ed some people are, we see people just letting there dog Pooh outside in the street and roam all over the place, people have no idea and just let their dogs loose. I am so sorry for you both, the remaining chickens must be a bit shell shocked!!!! You would be in your rights to take a pot shot at it, I know I don't think I could do that either but you give people the benefit of a warning and they do nothing, trouble is it is hard to keep dogs out of your land. Hope it gets sorted soon.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:42:47 pm »
Hi Rosemary, sorry to hear that its awful. I know its difficult when its a neighbour but I think you should report it to the police. The incident should at least be registered by them for future reference. It could be worse next time.
Jim

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 09:52:12 pm »
that is soooo frustrating, Rosemary. As you say it wouldnt be have so bad if it was a fox, they have to fight for survival, but a dog that is not properly controlled is a menace.

My sister had an incident a few weeks ago when a local woman was walking her dog and they met my sister with her collie, Millie (on the lead) The Japanese Iketa attacked Millie with such force that Millie's collar was broken as she was thrown around.

My sister was shocked but decided to let it go because the woman only lived up the road and sis did not want to cause upset with neighbours. That was until another neighbour and her dog were attacked...then the police were called by both sis and that neighbour.

The Iketa woman then had the gall to make out that on both occasions it was the other dogs who attacked first. She said that Millie was not on the lead. and that sis was not taking care of where she was going.

Ahem!! Ehhhh!!! Sis was actually on our own property, walking up our own lane towards the road. Iketa lady was on our land and seems to think that she has the right to let her dogs loose on our ground...attack our animals....and that we should be the ones who have to restrict our animals and our own movements. Because she has counter accused the police can do nothing!! oh it was also because there were no witnessess. So always have a camera crew with you for future evidence

Emma
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:54:01 pm by pikilily »
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:56:45 pm »
Rosemary

I am horrified.  I can't imagine how you feel.  If there is anything I can do to help let me know.  I think you should maybe 'pop' along and 'ask' if the owner saw anything and see what he has to say for himself...

:'(

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 10:10:02 pm »
That is so awful, I am so sorry. I would be so angry that I would have to approach the neighbour and have "it out". What a needless disaster!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:36:09 pm »
I am really sorry to hear your news Rosemary.  It is an awful thing because like you, we love our animals and birds, and any loss is terrible.  Last Autumn I bought two pairs of young Brahmas - They had only been with us a couple of days, when some friends came visiting with their Cocker Spaniel.  I love dogs, but he boisterous and lept over the fence and had killed one of them is less that two minutes of arriving.  All our friends could say was 'that is why we have ours behind fences'. I too was devastated as you are.  Others do not see how important our livestock is to us or understand the attachment that we have with them.  Well, after all it is only a chicken!!!!

Kate  :chook: :(

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 12:19:06 am »

Sorry but you must get the dog destroyed. It may well cause further problems but its the only option if you have already given them a chance. Good luck.

flipflopper

I'm sorry for your loss Rosemary, but I disagree entirely with flipflopper.  You cannot destroy a dog because it kills birds, it is a natural instinct. What you can and should do is tell the owners to retrain it and that can certainly be done.  I saw Cesar Milan doing it just last week.  It is not difficult.  Did you read my story of my ducks being retrieved?  I could have lost all of mine and it would have been my own fault for leaving the gate open. I am lucky that my dogs are trained to retrieve birds alive, or to retrieve shot ones without crushing them, NOT to kill. (in the gundog world that is called pegging and is an elimination in a trial) My dogs when they picked up my ducks all came back to the recall whistle and presented the birds into my hand unharmed (except for the drake whose leg was wobbly for a day or to due to being dropped by my little bitch as he was too heavy for her)

What you must do is let the owner know in no uncertain terms that you will be sending the bill for the loss and that if you see the dog out anywhere without it's owner it will be caught and penned.  You must let them know that you will not tolerate this again.
Unless the dog is classed as dangerous (in human terms) you cannot kill it.

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:19:05 am »
Awful news Rosemary, what a terrible thing to discover. Some people are so inconsiderate, if it was my dog I would be so ashamed. I would have been round with flowers, wine and cheque book. The dog needs a better owner.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 02:31:49 pm »
That's really what i was trying to get across - it's not the dog's fault, it's the owners.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chickchris

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 04:53:38 pm »
I have to admit with doganjo - its down to the the dog's owners to responsible. It doesn't help you in your situation now - having to deal with the devastation - but they are at least responsible and should recompense your lost at least with major apologies.

Certainly report it to the Police, as you may find that other people have problems with the same dog/owner. If they get enough complaints they they are obliged to contact the RSPCA and they may take further action.

Please don't let it lie, make sure you are heard!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 05:08:58 pm »
Rosemary, you can have my four LS if you want.  I'm sure Carol and Graham won't mind.  I can get more ex batts sometime.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 06:32:37 pm »
I feel for you, Rosemary.
One of our neighbours' dogs broke into the bunny's run and killed it. Trouble is that you can hardly ever prove it, even if the culprit comes back to the scene of the crime. The owners are just going to say "I don't think so" unless you have him by the collar...:&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS