Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens laying habits  (Read 3747 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Hens laying habits
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:23:08 am »
Just wondering if anyone has found there hens laying in odd places? One of my black rocks came to me named Cheryl Cole because she would only ever lay her eggs in the coal shed. :chook: ;D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Hens laying habits
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:29:46 am »
Hi Bert

Most of my hens are very good and even though they free range all day they dash dutifully to their nest boxes to lay.

However........not so my Friesian Fowl!!!! They are really good layers who seem to live on fresh air but you have to search for hours to find their eggs. Their favourite place to lay is about 5ft up in the conifer hedge!!!! If you dont find their nest sites they then go broody and of cause risk being gobbled by Mr. Fox because they stay out at night. One girl hatched her eggs in the hedge last year but in the end I had to move her and the eggs down because she started to move around as they were pipping and they were in danger of rolling out of her nest.I never thought that they would hatch because we timed her and she was sometimes off the nest for a couple of hours and the eggs were stone cold before she returned and yet out they popped. Just goes to show that mother knows best!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:37:02 am »
We found all these at the weekend. Sneaky eh?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:55:38 am »
thats a lot of sneaky eggs there womble!!!

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02:48 pm »
Do I see sun light in that photo?!!! I remember that stuff just about ;) .
 Chickens are little sods but I love them :chook:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »

Yup! 2 dozen in total!  ;D Oh, and come on Bert, the photo was only taken on Saturday!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »
I never thought that they would hatch because we timed her and she was sometimes off the nest for a couple of hours and the eggs were stone cold before she returned and yet out they popped. Just goes to show that mother knows best!

Kind of puts all the fretting we do about incubators in perspective  :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:07:04 am »
Goblin, one of my Cornish Game hens insists on laying hers in a black plastic dustbin. How she thinks any chicks would get out I don't know ;D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:30:29 am »
one of mine insisted on laying hers where she was born - in the eglu we still keep for broodies or poorlies. She was keen on privacy I reckon as it took her ages to lay her enormous eggs. After her first moult she went back to the nesting boxes and her eggs are smaller now  ;D :chook:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 06:40:04 pm »
we found where "beldie" was laying hers, 3 large round bales high......on top!! only found them when husband went to move the bales and they came crashing down!

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:24:44 pm »
In the hat/gloves/scarf basket if we leave the porch door open. Just found a rather old one half buried in a square wooden planter which has a rose growing in it, with bark around the base. I'm always searching for them as the Cream Legbars are definitely laying elsewhere, naughty girls. I also found some on top of a round hay bale last year.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 04:12:02 pm »
now that explains it - just found those in an old tapaulin in a wood pile!  ::) :chook: :&>
now the family has to play guess how many ....I'll tell you - 27!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:29:05 pm by northfifeduckling »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS