Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mice!  (Read 12371 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
Re: mice!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 10:47:05 pm »
That's a very entertaining photo!  ;D

I used those traps a good few years ago, but found that there were mice being left alive so I gave up. It frightened the bejeesus out of me when I went to pick up a trap and the (injured) mouse started to scrabble about. Bleurgh.

I've also had lots of problems with mice eating the peas. I think that germinating them in the house before moving them to the greenhouse is the answer.

Still laughing at your photo! GGRRRRR!  ;D

it was done for a mate in london that had mice in her flat! thought i would go all big hunter bloke to cheer her up a bit!  :D
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 12:12:24 pm »
we have a semi wild cat, really friendly but will he go catch a mouse....not on ya nelly, he just sits there looking at you saying what on earth am I supposed to do with that then, and the stupid mouse is standing right in front of it not daring to move.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 06:42:52 pm »
got a photo of my feral today. so intent on hunting he didn't see me until the camera went click! then he ran for about half a mile lol! won't beable to download it till tomorrow though! he didn't know what was happening  :D
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Smalltime

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 06:54:53 pm »
I have gone ahead and cleared the area and the perimeter and raked it all out. Taken most of the day. The mice are running now.

Incidentally, my cat would have had one but she leapt into the chicken wire fence and rebounded quite sheepishly. Dont think she knew it was there, she is only just going out and about here since the move. Stupid cat! But good going for a twelve year old townie cat with more fur than meat on her (she's tiny and very fluffy, another rescue job I lumbered myself with yrs ago).

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:52 pm »
I have gone ahead and cleared the area and the perimeter and raked it all out. Taken most of the day. The mice are running now.

Incidentally, my cat would have had one but she leapt into the chicken wire fence and rebounded quite sheepishly. Dont think she knew it was there, she is only just going out and about here since the move. Stupid cat! But good going for a twelve year old townie cat with more fur than meat on her (she's tiny and very fluffy, another rescue job I lumbered myself with yrs ago).

mice fear change! watch the sheds and out buildings as homeless mice find holes and cracks very quickly!

Smalltime

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 09:15:54 am »
Yes you are spot on, the shed is alongside the fence there and was full of sawdust and...well you can imagine...took us a whole day to get it properly cleaned out as it was ankle deep in stuff and full of junk. It was empty for a week or so as we actually came and just did it before we moved in, but now it is obviously full of stuff again. I have kept any food (bait for fishing) in a sealed plastic tub but I really do not want them getting back in there and re-homing themselves now it is full of my gear. There are holes everywhere round the base of the shed, i guess I will have to have a go at blocking them all up but its a bit like attacking a sieve with blue tack. Maybe just replank it all round the base with some better wood. I am sorely tempted to get a 'proper' cat to live in the shed and cut out a cat flap. Apparently the Cats protection has no shortage of feral cats that they can never find a home for as they aint pets! The trouble is proximity to existing (feeble) house cat and also the chickens I want to get. Also I dont really want to slay the local bird population as it thrives here with a lot of uncommon/ rare species nesting locally which I like. Tricky.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS