Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mice!  (Read 12372 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
mice!
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:08:42 pm »
just eaten half of my peas! very annoying!!  >:(
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: mice!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:13:03 pm »
Only half??  ;D ;D  Little devils aren't they.
Soak the pea seeds in paraffin overnight before you sow - doesn't seem to affect the flavour when you pick the crop, but does stop the mice.  Or start them off in a section of guttering hanging up in the polytunnel, where the wee baddies can't reach them. When the roots have filled the guttering, make a shallow trench in the garden and slide the row of peas into it.  Sometimes they will still bite off the seed part even at that stage of growth, but only if they are very hungry.
One year the mice ate all of one kind of my broad beans and completely ignored the other - but this was when they were ready to crop and they emptied out the pods, which I only noticed when I went to pick them - nothing there  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:13 pm »
Only half??  ;D ;D  Little devils aren't they.
Soak the pea seeds in paraffin overnight before you sow - doesn't seem to affect the flavour when you pick the crop, but does stop the mice.  Or start them off in a section of guttering hanging up in the polytunnel, where the wee baddies can't reach them. When the roots have filled the guttering, make a shallow trench in the garden and slide the row of peas into it.  Sometimes they will still bite off the seed part even at that stage of growth, but only if they are very hungry.
One year the mice ate all of one kind of my broad beans and completely ignored the other - but this was when they were ready to crop and they emptied out the pods, which I only noticed when I went to pick them - nothing there  :o

just put 5 traps in the greenhouse! 3 with ritz crackers and 2 with peanut butter! revenge will be mine!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:20:43 pm »
When we put traps in the tunnel we caught 14 mice before we gave up  ::) They were just about queueing to be caught  :D

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:44:56 pm »
When we put traps in the tunnel we caught 14 mice before we gave up  ::) They were just about queueing to be caught  :D

my land is boardered on 3 sides by wheat fields. can't ignore them. 3 years ago i kept count and had 281 from september to march

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:50:13 am »
That's a lot of mice.  :(

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:04:31 am »
hello pretty!

love my work!  :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:39:45 am »
Oh poor thing didn't even get to the cheese  :o :D

That's very fat for a mouse  :pig:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:06:25 pm »
My first reaction was - isn't that a bit early for peas? But then I noticed that you are down south, and it's "indoors" peas we are talking about... ;D

Considering your ongoing problem, I am just visualising a kind of tunnel around the greenhouse (or around your property), entirely enclosing it, "manned" with about half a dozen hungry cats... But I also know the soaking-in-paraffin trick. Don't know what it does to the soil, though. I generally start peas, beans etc off in the house (if I find a spare corner); the season is just a bit short up here. And I tend to forget to start them off early enough anyway, so it's generally hit and miss. :-\

I spent a summer in France once, on a goat farm, and caught ten mice in my room with just the one hazelnut! Hazelnuts seemed to work best; they stick to the trap, even when the mouse tugs at it. Very economic.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 02:39:19 pm »
had a really good look round the green house and found where the little f..kers are getting in. just put a plug in the hole and siliconed it up to the glass. don't think i want parrfin peas but i can see why people do it now!

as for mouse bait i find as said earlier that ritz crackers and peanutbutter are killer!

and yes southern softies here, but i have to report the first cardoon sprout so i would imagine the artichokes won't be long now! nice a warm down here over the last few days.

:farmer:

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 07:18:25 am »
I just came on here to say that we still have not planted our peas yet to do bad weather, they where supposed to be in 2 weeks ago. but I read some where that chilli powder works wonders on mice, I tried rat bait traps everything as they where eating all my seedlings ontop of the freezer, yup they got all the way up there. but the only thing was to put chilli powder in all the places they could get in the house and even sprinkled it on the seed trays.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 09:32:00 am »
I just came on here to say that we still have not planted our peas yet to do bad weather, they where supposed to be in 2 weeks ago. but I read some where that chilli powder works wonders on mice, I tried rat bait traps everything as they where eating all my seedlings ontop of the freezer, yup they got all the way up there. but the only thing was to put chilli powder in all the places they could get in the house and even sprinkled it on the seed trays.

i'll give it a go. i have loads of different chilli powders in the cupboard!

Smalltime

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 11:53:08 am »
Another stupid question I am afraid, but new to this rural living  ;) I thought kicking out my cat regularly into her new space (round the vegetable patch) would deter the mice from venturing in to nick my seeds when i plant them. I am now figuring this is a bit hopeful as the little sods dont even run from me, just sit there looking at me continously eating. The garden perimeter is surrounded by tall (now dead and brown) weeds where the mice all rustle around before it becomes just a grassy field.. Would you advise clearing all this dead wood and stems out before starting the vegetable area or is just a pointless exercise? Any experience here would be useful. Cheers.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 01:12:00 pm »
Another stupid question I am afraid, but new to this rural living  ;) I thought kicking out my cat regularly into her new space (round the vegetable patch) would deter the mice from venturing in to nick my seeds when i plant them. I am now figuring this is a bit hopeful as the little sods dont even run from me, just sit there looking at me continously eating. The garden perimeter is surrounded by tall (now dead and brown) weeds where the mice all rustle around before it becomes just a grassy field.. Would you advise clearing all this dead wood and stems out before starting the vegetable area or is just a pointless exercise? Any experience here would be useful. Cheers.

i think just staring is a bit passive. the mice don't sit and stare at me, even the crows are careful when i am out. like i said i have 9 traps on the go everyday and catch hundreds every year. i have a shed next to the greenhouse and caught 2 just after the peas got eaten and have had no trouble in there since. but outside is much more trouble. there are good cats and there are the rest. i have a big ginger feral tom cat and he is a killer! i put all the dead mice in the same place everytime and he knows it. fair exchange is no robbery! i also have 3 big catnip plants on the land and get about another 3-4 cats regularly and still have trouble with mice! when i am working on the land i always have at least an air rifle with me, loaded so when you get a shot you can take it, never know could make a good tea lol.
as far as cover goes, the less cover they have the more nervous they will be, hawks and kites are to be taken seriously if you are a mouse! if you study it you will see whenever possible they will make tunnels in the grass/scrub so they can go undetected, i get a trap with peanut butter on it and set it by one of these runs but not in itthere will be a gap in these tunnels and leave it there. often they ignore it the first night but can't resist it the next.  just a bit of trial and error. good luck keep trying things and remember what works and stick with it!  :thumbsup:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 10:45:05 pm »
That's a very entertaining photo!  ;D

I used those traps a good few years ago, but found that there were mice being left alive so I gave up. It frightened the bejeesus out of me when I went to pick up a trap and the (injured) mouse started to scrabble about. Bleurgh.

I've also had lots of problems with mice eating the peas. I think that germinating them in the house before moving them to the greenhouse is the answer.

Still laughing at your photo! GGRRRRR!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS